Help Identify This Skillet

Joseph Abell

Picked up a skillet today at a local fleamarket. After a little searching I ran across an auction for what appears to be an identical match except mine is a #6. Same exact handle / pour spout / heat ring / font / gate mark ... etc etc

He lists a date range etc but I have no idea if hes correct. or not Any thoughts on who you think made it and an age range? Would let me know a little more about what I bought.

Thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-GATE-MAR...382147?hash=item4d69cad483:g:YBsAAOSw0RdaMqkD

Date range estimate is in the ballpark. Could actually be a bit earlier. Unless marked, makers on these are never going to be certain. Today's eBay CI pricing reminds me of why I no longer buy CI off eBay.

Date range estimate is in the ballpark. Could actually be a bit earlier. Unless marked, makers on these are never going to be certain. Today's eBay CI pricing reminds me of why I no longer buy CI off eBay.

Yeah I kinda thought that price was pretty expensive. I dont really buy for value im more buying as I find it interesting. Kinda cool to have something you can still use that was made back in the 1800's. Even though I probably wont use it.

single spouts tend to be earlier than double spout pans (that's probably where the date range estimate came from). I'd use it... just be careful with the heat and don't use it on a coil burner...

single spouts tend to be earlier than double spout pans (that's probably where the date range estimate came from). I'd use it... just be careful with the heat and don't use it on a coil burner...

So im dumb when it comes to this stuff. What do you mean by be careful with heat and what is a coil burner ??

Sorry rookie.

The usual caveats with vintage, thinner CI include not heating too hot too quickly, especially an empty pan. Coil burner means an electric element, which due to the direct contact can heat the area it contacts more rapidly than the rest of the pan. Safest way to preheat a skillet evenly is in the oven.

One more caveat! I have the same skillet in #8. It has become my favorite bought piece of CI that I own. I used it to make some cornbread in and my normal procedure is to melt some bacon fat in the pan and swirl it around the pan to evenly coat. With this pan, the spout goes all the way to the bottom of the pan and when you swirl too enthusiastically, the fat really can fly out much easier than from a pan with regular spouts. Go easy with the swirling!

Back