Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cooking In Cast Iron

Notices

Cooking In Cast Iron Discuss Cast Iron Cooking & Recipe Requests

Old 01-07-2018, 07:02 PM

Default Cornbread Lesson

Cooked some cornbread last night for my wife and I. Used my dad's #3 Vollrath and my #5 BSR. Both were in the oven at the same time on the same rack. Somehow managed to forget the different size/volume and took both out at the same time. Wasn't a disaster, but one of those "what were you not thinking about moments" . The round in the #5 wasn't quite ready to completely release. Anyway, my wife was satisfied, so...

BTW, my brother and I prefer to present our finished product, bottom side up. We think it has more visual appeal.

FYI GCrawford, my dad, like you suggest, always cut the finished round in half (horizontally) and buttered it right out of the oven.

https://imgur.com/a/tTk0i

Last edited by WallyF; 01-07-2018 at 07:03 PM. Reason: forgot imAGES
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2018, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Cornbread Lesson

Gotta love cornbread cooked in CI!
Old 01-11-2018, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Cornbread Lesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyF View Post
Cooked some cornbread last night for my wife and I. Used my dad's #3 Vollrath and my #5 BSR. Both were in the oven at the same time on the same rack. Somehow managed to forget the different size/volume and took both out at the same time. Wasn't a disaster, but one of those "what were you not thinking about moments" . The round in the #5 wasn't quite ready to completely release. Anyway, my wife was satisfied, so...

BTW, my brother and I prefer to present our finished product, bottom side up. We think it has more visual appeal.

FYI GCrawford, my dad, like you suggest, always cut the finished round in half (horizontally) and buttered it right out of the oven.

https://imgur.com/a/tTk0i
Yep! I remember my Dad making little cones from the buttered crumbs and, sitting in his lap, I'd pick them up and eat them. Couldn't have been more than 4-5 years old. Remember Mama saying, "Leonard, you're gonna make that boy sick he's eating so much!." Dad, "Awe, let the boy eat." He called the cones "stoodlem's" . . . don't know where he got that name. That was 66-67 years ago. Good memories.