Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > New Collector's Corner

Notices

New Collector's Corner A Friendly Forum for Those New to the Hobby. No Question Is Too Basic, So Ask Away.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:56 AM

Default Possible to ID These 2 Unmarked #8's

Hello all again! I have 2 remaining pans I cannot Identify. On the left is an unmarked #8 that I thought might be a Wagner because of the handle, perhaps before descriptions? But there is a crude #8 on the top of the handle that almost looks handwritten and that threw me off. On the bottom on the flattened triangle area of the handle near the pan there is a small "B". The other pan on the right is a gate marked griddle with a flat yet curved handle and a raised number 8 on the top of the handle. Underneath at the base of the handle there are 4 notches. Anyway to determine the maker? I appreciate any input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180416_093438650.jpg (86.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180416_093502386.jpg (93.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180416_093524823_LL.jpg (53.2 KB, 56 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2018, 12:06 PM
Site Admin

Default Re: Possible to ID These 2 Unmarked #8's

There do appear to be earlier unmarked Wagners with nothing inscribed on the bottom. If this one is unusually bottom heavy, it may be a copy made from a Wagner. As with most bottom gate items, maker identification really isn't possible.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:23 PM

The cooking surface is the same size as my marker WagnerWare Sidney -O-. (on the left) But this unmarked pan (on the right) has smaller spouts and as a result is 10.5" from spout-to-spout vs 11.0 for the marked pan. It also has a wider handle at the root. Also, a very slight partial rib on the handle. Still thinking Wagner? Any date range possible? Weight-wise the unmarked is about 4-oz heavier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180416_131526812.jpg (98.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180416_131555583.jpg (91.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 04-16-2018, 02:12 PM
Site Admin

eBay sellers describe them as unmarked Wagner, one even dubbing his a "fat handle". If we assume these are actually unmarked Wagner, the lack of any marking would suggest early in the smooth bottom era, but then the smaller pour spouts don't make sense. The casting flaws seen also seem un-Wagner-like. Unless a marked Wagner with the same "fat handle" can be found, I'd say they're just someone else's pan that happens to have characteristics reminiscent of Wagner. (There are Wagners whose handles are a little wider at that point, probably due to pattern variation, but none seen to this extent.)
Old 04-16-2018, 02:20 PM

Good info, there. Thank you. As a newbie, can you please point put what you see as "casting Flaws"? The interior is smooth as glass, smoother than the Marked Wagner but minus the grinding circles. I did not see any other flaws, per se other than the crudely marked #8 topside of handle. As I said, newbie so please forgive the ignorance.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:33 PM
Site Admin

Flaws as seen in eBay listings with more revealing photos. Voids, abnormal roughness on as-cast areas.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:14 PM

Ok, thanks for everything. Mine is pretty straight and I really like the pan....regardless. It is a good "user". Your site has provided me with wealth of information and I am grateful to you for the time you put in. Thanks again.