Lid ID help

BruceD

I got this spider skillet with a lid for a very reasonable price. The lid is in good shape as is the outside of the pan. The inside of the pan has some rust and pitting but I think it should clean up OK. Upon closer inspection I do not believe the pan and lid were originally a pair. Other than the 12 on the handle and the 12 on the lid there are no other marks. The number style/font does not match which is why I believe they were mated at a later date. On the plus side they fit perfectly. :)

I have seen a similar handle style on a lid somewhere but it was not attributed to a maker. Anyone know who made lids with handles like this?

Seen

Seen

20151031_195614

20151031_195722

Thanks Doug. So are the lid and the skillet a set? If you look closely at the third pic you should see the numeral 1 is different between the skillet and the lid castings.

Wow...that is nice. I have the 10 lid, I wish I could find the skillet. I saw a #14 that sold for a LOT of money on ebay not to long ago.

The one that sold on ebay was just as pitted as yours. It doesn't matter when it's that rare.

Last edited:
Wow...that is nice. I have the 10 lid, I wish I could find the skillet. I saw a #14 that sold for a LOT of money on ebay not to long ago.

The one that sold on ebay was just as pitted as yours. It doesn't matter when it's that rare.

This one is a keeper for me, I passed on a lot of skillets with missing lids before I stumbled on this one, if I recall I gave $25 for it. The skillet is living in the e-bath at the moment and I hope to finish cleaning it this coming weekend.

What is a set like this worth? There is one of these skillets at the local antique mall for $45. The lid has a slightly different handle, but otherwise it looks exactly the same. No rust, and it looks as if it has never been seasoned. Is $45 too much?

Bruce

I believe I may have that skillet it was passed down to me from my mother and was my Grand mothers
unfortunately at some time the feet got ground off by my Grand father
I was given the piece back some twenty years ago I did not realize the value

when I did find out I sure wish Grand pa had left it alone
it makes a great oven If i use a trivet or as in the picture I had set it direct
and yes the lid looks not the same as the one in the picture

Attachments

• personalpictures025.jpg
    personalpictures025.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 31
Back