Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cooking In Cast Iron

Notices

Cooking In Cast Iron Discuss Cast Iron Cooking & Recipe Requests

Old 08-25-2016, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Chicken Alfredo

whrn I first read the "segragated Southern community" I was thinking, I'm from Huntsville, AL! Germans?! We had Dr. Von Braun and all of his rocket scientists! Then I remembered, we didn't have any German restaurants. We had Germans, but no German food. Haha! And all of the "Italians, Swedes, French, Africans," etc. were families who had been in the country for 200 years and ate the same thing we did. We did have pizza places though. Does that count as Italian? And McDonald's. I think that's an Irish restaurant, right? Or is it Scottish?

When I married my wife, in 1984, it took me a long time to get used to her cooking. She's from Mobile, AL and, although she cooked the same foods I was used to eating, she added a ton of spices to them. Must be the Cajun influence on the Gulf Coast.

She says I like boring food. I say I like for the food to taste like it did when God created it. Haha!

Maybe I'll start adding a little garlic. I like the idea about adding a smaller amount than the recipe calls for. Plus, I'm getting kinda old. I could probably use some spice in my life.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2016, 10:49 PM

Sharon, in the late 70ís I got my first New Orleans cookbook. That book and Justin Wilson, one of the first TV cooks doing Cajun food, didnít use cloves of garlic, just toes. Justin left me with the term ďmore betterĒ and used numeral ranges backwards. i.e.: Just bake it for 10 to 8 minutes, or this will serve 6 to 3 people.

Also, while we call it a head of garlic other countries call it a foot of garlic.

http://www.chowhound.com/post/louisi...-garlic-673432

Hilditch
Old 08-27-2016, 02:14 AM

Spurgeon, please try this recipe below: http://www.castironcollector.com/for...ead.php?t=3262 This is true Italian comfort food and is a perfect example of how garlic can blend in with other flavors to provide a pleasing experience. Donít cheat on the garlic or anything else here until you have tried it. It ainít boring but Iíll put it up there with fried chicken done right.

You will be busy for the first half so it is only a two beer cooking time.

Hilditch
Old 08-27-2016, 02:19 PM

I'll give it a try! Thanks for the recipe!