Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cooking In Cast Iron

Notices

Cooking In Cast Iron Discuss Cast Iron Cooking & Recipe Requests

Old 07-02-2016, 07:00 PM

Default Re: “A Chicken In Every Pot”

Love it! I'll hold it by the wings & dance while my SO holds the shower sprayer. Giggle time!

Hilditch
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2016, 07:47 PM

Drexel University actually has a whole Don't Wash Your Chicken campaign to try to educate people: http://drexel.edu/dontwashyourchicken/. Judging by this discussion, it has not been a very effective campaign.

Here's where the info is coming from. It's not some crackpot fringe theory, it's science: "This material is based on work funded by the National Integrated Food Safety Initiative (NIFSI), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), under Agreement No. 2009-51110-05853. ©2013, NMSU Board of Regents. Drexel University and New Mexico State University cooperating with the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Drexel University and NMSU are both equal opportunity/affirmative action employers and educators."

The only thing that actually kills the bacteria on chicken is cooking it.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:48 PM

I worked as a clinical microbiologist for 17 years. The information in the Drexel videos is accurate. What I love about CIC is learning from a variety of members’ knowledge and experiences. Also, I loved learning from my grandmother and mother, but sometimes they just relied on tradition, and not on fact or science. While we all hate to hear someone claim, "this is the right and only way" we should be willing to listen to someone presenting information that could radically change the way we do one particular task. So here is the analogy I hope we all can relate to. "I just throw my case iron pan in the coals of a fire to burn off the carbon and it worked for my grandmother and it works for me!" We all know that it works sometimes and it warps or ruins a pan other times. Why risk ruining a pan? The same goes for food preparation. Why risk food poisoning? "I have (or my mother or grandmother) always rinsed my chicken off and I (we) have never had a problem". Yes, many people rinse their chickens and have experienced no problems. Here is a quote from a food safety expert, “Food safety researchers haven't really defined a "safe water speed" for rinsing raw poultry. Any time you introduce water or a rinse, you are disturbing the bacteria on the raw poultry and making it likelier that those buggies will fly off your meat and onto some other kitchen surface — or onto you. "I can't make you not take the risk, " Quinlan says, "but you need to know what you are dealing with." If you rinse your chicken out of safety concerns, just stop, she says, because you are making it less safe. If you are doing it to enhance flavor, that's fine, but use proper precautions.”
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/...g-raw-chickens. If you want to take the risk and take proper precautions (all other food is out of the food prep area and washing down everything in the splash zone) that is fine, but know what you are dealing with. Suffering with diarrhea, vomiting, and/or stomach issues for 7 to 21 days due to Campylobacter jejuni, or Salmonella is not pleasant. I won’t go into the story here, but one of mine family members will no longer wash out a chicken before cooking.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:14 PM

Well, I might stop washing my chicken. What I will not do is low boil a chicken for 6 hours or even 3 hours. It isn't necessary and isn't going to add any more flavor to the stock.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:28 PM

The moral of the story is to handle chicken and cleanup correctly. It is not “Never rinse chicken.”

Hilditch
Old 07-03-2016, 01:09 AM

Maybe, but why would you still rinse chicken after reading that? What do you think the benefits are?
Old 07-03-2016, 02:45 AM

First I don’t believe everything I read, but I do believe there is professional overkill that uses exaggeration and fear to make a statement. When I get a chicken I finish the cleaning process that the processor did not do. I scrape/loosen the blood in the bird, pull off strands of the cavity lining, trim off excess fat and skin, cut off the tail and wing tips and scrape out anything in the cavity with my finger nails that I can.

At this point there are pieces of blood and misc. loose pieces of tissue in and on the bird that I don’t wish to be in the pot. The best way to remove this is to rinse the bird and flush out the cavity. Soap and hot water follows for the sink, shears and me.

Hilditch

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 03:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 AM ----------[/SIZE]

Dave, I didn’t answer your question. The benefits are having a clean bird to put into the pot and the resulting sweeter tasting dish without miscellaneous bits that look like they need to be strained out of the broth.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:20 AM

Fair enough.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:06 PM

Grilling 72 chickens for the 4th. About 200 ears of silver queen. Salad and green beans. The chickens are WOGs. Or without gizzards.

I do not wash the birds before seasoning and grill. That's the way I do it.
Folks like my chicken.

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------[/SIZE]

I buy the chickens by the case. Coolers to hold the birds have been cleaned and washed with a bleach and water mix. Birds are seasoned with my chicken spices and bagged. The coolers are iced and the birds will rest for three hours while seasoned. Twenty birds are done on gas and the rest go on a bigger grill. A PDQ big stainless grill with charcoal. The birds go on the grill breast side down.
They keep the moisture that way. Done when the legs pull free.

Fishing tourment from sunlight until noon. Redfish, flounder, and trout will be fried for lunch. Hush puppies, fries, and a jimmy salad for lunch. Chicken dinner at six for a couple of hundred great Americans. Fireworks at dark.

It's a lot of work but I have great helpers.

Happy birthday America.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:21 PM

Dang! I need to come to Charleston. I'm only a couple hours away in Columbia.