Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 11-26-2015, 05:51 PM

Default Basic Cleaning Questions

I recently bought my first piece that seems like it could be old(unlabeled, gatemarked skillet) and have started cleaning. I use oven cleaner in a garbage bag for 1-3 days at a time with some heavy rinsing and washing with a sponge and soap. This has done a good job so far, but leaves stuff. I recently started scraping with a plastic lodge cleaner that won't scratch the metal. This is another improvement, but goes slow and takes a lot of work.

Is 0000 steel wool or fine (400 grit wet/dry) sand paper do any damage?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2015, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Basic Cleaning Questions

It won't hurt it but it probably won't remove the stuff you are trying to get off. I use one of these or a stainless steel chore boy.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KKMWE2/...Fci_amazon.php
Old 11-26-2015, 06:08 PM
Site Admin

Steel wool or SS Chore Boy OK on any surface; 400 grit wet/dry OK only on already polish ground surfaces.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:54 PM

its cast iron you really cant hurt it unless your using a screwdriver. 0000 steel wool is for polishing, you can use 0,1,2,or 3 steel wool. you just have to be careful with polished pieces like chrome or nickel. I usually start with no 2 and a little water to give it a good scrubbing to knock down any scratches from utensils then a good scrub with 000 to try and polish it out a bit then into the oven it goes.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:52 PM

You should also know it will have a blackish residue until a coat of seasoning is on.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Scott View Post
It won't hurt it but it probably won't remove the stuff you are trying to get off. I use one of these or a stainless steel chore boy.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KKMWE2/...Fci_amazon.php
Bonnie, the SS brush will not scratch the surface? I've hesitated trying one. I use a brass brush identical to yours, but it leaves residue.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMunnich View Post
Bonnie, the SS brush will not scratch the surface? I've hesitated trying one. I use a brass brush identical to yours, but it leaves residue.
A brass brush will leave itself behind because brass is a soft metal and is used went you don't want to scratch a polished surface. Even though the steel brush is hard, it's the same strength as the cast iron so it won't hurt the iron and won't leave anything behind.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMunnich View Post
CJ, when I started using my stainless steel brush is when I realized I had never gotten my pans clean before. It not only removes the crud but it removes the rust as well. It doesn't scratch the pans and it makes short work of cleaning which I like. Brass brushes are a no-no. I have an assortment of stainless steel brushes in different sizes for cleaning waffle irons and gem pans.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Scott View Post
CJ, when I started using my stainless steel brush is when I realized I had never gotten my pans clean before. It not only removes the crud but it removes the rust as well. It doesn't scratch the pans and it makes short work of cleaning which I like. Brass brushes are a no-no. I have an assortment of stainless steel brushes in different sizes for cleaning waffle irons and gem pans.
I'll second this. When I added stainless steel brush to my stripping/seasoning routine, it made a world of difference. Grab one and start using it...makes a big difference.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:31 PM

Location: Residing in the calm sunshine of Santa Cruz, California

I can't speak highly enough of these heavy duty stainless steel scrubbers.
http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/.../p1458681.aspx
The thin 3M version of these things that are sold everywhere are too soft for cast iron. Steel wool disintegrates too quickly. These heavy duty pads work well on rust and leave the perfect finish on cooking surfaces. With these you will only need a brush for nooks and crannies.
Find them on ebay.com here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thunder-Grou...gAAOSw9mFWMU7s