Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 04-27-2015, 10:19 AM

Default First Shot at E-tank

So, I got all my stuff together and started up my e-tank yesterday for the first time. I decided to start with the worst piece I own...though common sense might have been to go with something not quite so bad off to start. But I decided to go big or go home.

Here's what I started with:

http://i.imgur.com/MI70wTR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/LQveCKI.jpg

Here's after about 8 hours:

http://i.imgur.com/hMyEqDw.jpg

Here's after about 18 hours:

http://i.imgur.com/rgzQbNC.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PkE818K.jpg

Size marking that was hiding under the rust:

http://i.imgur.com/PoTLUw6.jpg

It's a number 8 and a slightly lighter (not as deeply cast) letter A next to it.

I did leave it running in the tank overnight last night, but I decided not to leave it running while I'm at work today because I'm not sure if there is such a thing as too long in the e-tank. Can CI be damaged if left running in the tank?

Also, as you can see from the pics, it is still making progress, but there is rust still to be removed. When I turned it off this morning, it was still producing a steady pattern of fine bubbles, so it was still working as far as I know. Will it continue to work until the rust is all gone?

For now, I towel dried it and the rest of the way in a low oven before I left for work this morning. I'm planning to put it back in when I get home this evening and see how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2015, 10:24 AM

Default Re: First Shot at E-tank

Looks like good progress. If you haven't already, hit the rusty spots with a stainless steel scrubber or wire brush to mechanically speed the process along a bit. From the pictures it looks like a good bit of what's left would scrub off.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:35 AM

DougH
I have left pieces in the etank for multiple days and no damage was done.

Electro works on a line of sight basis. Since it appears the rust on the inside of the pot is not being removed perhaps you should hang it so that it tilts enough that one of the electrodes can "see" the rust. Alternatively you can try hanging an electrode inside, but not touching, the suspended pot.

Jack
Old 04-27-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMoss View Post
DougH
I have left pieces in the etank for multiple days and no damage was done.

Electro works on a line of sight basis. Since it appears the rust on the inside of the pot is not being removed perhaps you should hang it so that it tilts enough that one of the electrodes can "see" the rust. Alternatively you can try hanging an electrode inside, but not touching, the suspended pot.

Jack
I do have it hanging in the tank from one of the side "ears", so it is hanging mostly horizontal, but not quite because of balance. It sits at roughly 15 degrees above horizontal, I would say. I have an anode at each end of the tank, so one facing the exterior and one facing the cooking surface. And both anodes are getting current...I checked them independently with my meter.

Now, because it's hanging on it's side, the bottom of the cooking surface would be the furthest point from the anode in my set up.

As long as no one comes along as says "whatever you do, don't leave it in the tank unattended for days!!!" then I'll scrub it a bit when I get home, throw it back in and see what it looks like after another night swimming.

Thanks for your help!

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------[/SIZE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
Looks like good progress. If you haven't already, hit the rusty spots with a stainless steel scrubber or wire brush to mechanically speed the process along a bit. From the pictures it looks like a good bit of what's left would scrub off.
I hit it lightly with steel wool, but have not really put any elbow grease into it. I think I'll try that when I get home and see what comes loose.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:13 AM
Site Admin

Looks like a BSR flat bottom stove kettle. The old catalogs show them with an assist ring, though. Could have been changed for automation. They were also sold as part of a double boiler set up with a DO nested in them.

Electro only works on rust. It won't affect intact iron. About the only thing you would not want to do is leave it running in an unventilated space for an extended period.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:37 AM

Very interesting project. That's a lotta material removal!
Old 04-27-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug D. View Post
Looks like a BSR flat bottom stove kettle. The old catalogs show them with an assist ring, though. Could have been changed for automation. They were also sold as part of a double boiler set up with a DO nested in them.

Electro only works on rust. It won't affect intact iron. About the only thing you would not want to do is leave it running in an unventilated space for an extended period.
OK, sounds good...I figured I'd be cautious today since I wasn't 100% sure.

Thanks for the guess on manufacturer. I am curious about maker and age, but I haven't done any of my own looking yet. There were no other pieces with it when I bought it. I got it for around $10, if I recall correctly...and really didn't know at the time how I was going to clean it up. At the time, it was far and away the worst piece I had purchased. It's still the worst so far, but I've picked up some others since that are pretty rough, so it's not so alone
Old 04-28-2015, 09:48 AM

Here's what it looked like when I checked before work...still making progress.

http://i.imgur.com/VybaQx8.jpg

I scrubbed it last night for a few minutes to get whatever was loose, and then put it in again overnight. When I took this picture, it was around 29 hours total swimming time. Still running now, so I'll check again this evening.

I'm pretty sure it's to the point where I could scrub it clean, but I feel like letting the process run just to learn as much as anything.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:58 AM

Thanks for sharing this, Doug. It's great to see what you're doing and how well it's going.

Looks great and thanks again!
Old 04-29-2015, 09:34 AM

Here it is this morning, after approx 53 hours swimming:

http://i.imgur.com/fGuXzj1.jpg

It's still making some progress, but in reality it's time to scrub and be done. I just didn't have time to do it last night or this morning, so I figured I might as well leave it in the spa. I hope to have time this evening to scrub whatever is remaining and get an initial seasoning on it.