Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 01-26-2016, 01:10 AM

Default Re: etank battery charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHardee View Post
Well I am probably doing it wrong ...but I do 20 amps for about 3 hours and it works great for me ...had an older friend in his 80's tell me to go with it ...he worked in a chrome plating facility ..where they did brass and chrom plating ...he said 30 amps and below would work fine ...anything above and the water may boil which is a bad thing and a slimy residue ...like I said it works for me ...but opinons are like ...well you know the rest
I generally run mine on the 20 amp setting & it looks like a jacuzzi shortly after I flip it on. Rarely do I have to leave it on for more than the 12 hours unless I'm cleaning several pieces at once that are extra grungy
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2016, 10:03 AM

All this etank talk made me get my little one out and run it. It was 14 degrees when I set it up but the high is supposed to be 27 today. Started with hot water and doubled up on the washing soda. I'm hoping the added electrolyte will lower the freezing point of the water a little bit and the bubbling action will delay the formation of ice crystals long enough to finish the job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank.jpg (34.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 02-04-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty L. View Post
All this etank talk made me get my little one out and run it. It was 14 degrees when I set it up but the high is supposed to be 27 today. Started with hot water and doubled up on the washing soda. I'm hoping the added electrolyte will lower the freezing point of the water a little bit and the bubbling action will delay the formation of ice crystals long enough to finish the job.

My experience says that the hot water is not needed to start, and the added electrolyte will not help with the temps that we all get here up north. The water will get warm during the cleaning of your piece. After you shut it off it will start the formation of your ice crystals in time. I use lye for my electrolyte, but still freezes, 20 below is still 20 below. My trick is keep it running, if you have as many pieces as I do.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey R. View Post
My experience says that the hot water is not needed to start, and the added electrolyte will not help with the temps that we all get here up north. The water will get warm during the cleaning of your piece. After you shut it off it will start the formation of your ice crystals in time. I use lye for my electrolyte, but still freezes, 20 below is still 20 below. My trick is keep it running, if you have as many pieces as I do.
I didn't want to take any chances at 14 degrees without knowing how much of my 10A power supply's output gets lost in the tank as heat. Next time I'll be a little more bold.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty L. View Post
I didn't want to take any chances at 14 degrees without knowing how much of my 10A power supply's output gets lost in the tank as heat. Next time I'll be a little more bold.
It will get hotter in the summer, so have no fear Get-r-done.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:00 AM

I've been using my stainless e tank from time to time all winter in an unheated garage here in Maine. When the weather started turning cold, I wrapped the tank in heat tape and covered the same with some thin, rubbery foam type carpet backing. Although I only occasionally use the e tank, the heat trace stays on 24/7. Of course, when cleaning iron the water gets warm from the battery charger but the tank has been idle much of the time but no issues with freezing.
We've had a fairly good warm winter to date, temps haven't gotten much colder than 0 but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't freeze with the heat trace only on even at -20. HTH
Old 02-05-2016, 02:06 AM

That's great Charlie! I've been talking about fishtank heaters and pond heaters but completely forgot about heat tape. I've used them on sewer pipe (don't ask) and I bet that it would work on plastic bucket eTanks or plastic garbage can eTanks, Lye tanks too. Great share!

Scott