Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > New Collector's Corner

Notices

New Collector's Corner A Friendly Forum for Those New to the Hobby. No Question Is Too Basic, So Ask Away.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:20 AM

Default Re: What to do with my growing collection of door stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
Cast iron does not weld well. Various welding rods will produce a seal but you have a corrected pan/pot which might be functional but will look like fido's rear end. Often the isolated heat will warp the item or cause fatigue/brittleness.
If the person doing the welding does not know how to weld cast iron then you might be right. Try using nickel rod, not just any rod.

Try finding a certified welder, not just any.

I have seen so called welders work that looks like fido's rear end on structural steel.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey R. View Post
If the person doing the welding does not know how to weld cast iron then you might be right. Try using nickel rod, not just any rod.

Try finding a certified welder, not just any.

I have seen so called welders work that looks like fido's rear end on structural steel.
I am a certified welder. Carbon, stainless and aluminum. Trained at Newport News ship building when I was in college. I still weld but mostly to help friends.

I stand by what I said above. I stated ci does not weld well. Let me explain.

It is not impossible but difficult. Most recommend heating the iron slowly up to between 500 to 1200 degrees before you use the nickel rod. At about 1400 degree F. Cast iron becomes extremely brittle.

Let's talk warping now. Heat your best skillet or a small,part of it to the above temps. Half the pan is red hot and the other side is below that temp. What happens then?

Appearance ? You now have a welded piece that will look repaired. Not what most want to use.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:22 PM

I never did have a warm fuzzy about using a cracked CI vessel. I can picture one half of it on the stove and the other half burning into the kitchen floor after nailing my foot and the chicken cacciatore spread over half the kitchen. As CI does not lend itself to welding like steel, not only are the repairs unsightly and one is asking for warpage, but there is a good chance of additional cracking, separation of the weld and failure. Not for me.

Hilditch
Old 04-08-2016, 09:39 PM

Jeffery
I am buiding a pretty good stack of cracked skillets. I have two questions about repairs: are they terribly obvious and are the skillets proned to more cracks after the repairs? I would like for some of these cracked pans to become daily users if they are suitable after the repairs.

Jack
Old 04-09-2016, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMoss View Post
Jeffery
I am buiding a pretty good stack of cracked skillets. I have two questions about repairs: are they terribly obvious and are the skillets proned to more cracks after the repairs? I would like for some of these cracked pans to become daily users if they are suitable after the repairs.

Jack
I will look for a photo. Not terribly obvious, but shiny obvious, due to the nickel rod over cast. As for "more cracks after the repairs," not sure if you mean at the same crack that was repaired. But as I stated, that cast iron can be welded, by the right person and at that it is still a gamble. Less of a gamble with the right welder.

"suitable after the repairs". To date I have not had any issues from my customers. So something was done right.

Here is a product that I have not tried, but might be worth looking into for yourself.

As I stated I have not used it, so I am not endorsing it. Your call.

http://www.castaloy.com

If you do give it a try, I would be interested in how you make out.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:57 AM

Jeffery R
Thank you

Jack
Old 04-10-2016, 01:32 AM

ME, if you donít need more wall decorations I think the smart thing to do is recycle. One way or another. Recycle centers do take cast iron & mix it in with the steel. You will feel better.

Hilditch
Old 04-10-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Hilditch View Post
ME, if you donít need more wall decorations I think the smart thing to do is recycle. One way or another. Recycle centers do take cast iron & mix it in with the steel. You will feel better.

Hilditch
You might go back and re read your post #8 That is not recycling, then pick up your WI paddles. the smart thing

So you don't kill wild critters. Did you give any thought to stagnant water and the critters?

Malaria and dengue are among the main dangers, also a breeding ground for the mosquitoes, and many kinds of bacteria and parasites.

The real question is, would you drink from the #8 BSR Dutch oven spinner? Think Not. So why kill the critters?
Just do the smart thing and take them to the Recycle center as you stated in post #17

Leave the critters alone, they do better without you.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:26 PM

Fido's rear end, think not.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:54 PM

That looks pretty nice. This is the reason I can't bring myself to part with my Crescent chicken fryer with the broken handle. There might be hope for it.