Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 03-15-2015, 03:15 AM

Default Re: Crisco beading on hot cast iron - acting oleophobic

Craig - That's an interesting point. I didn't wire brush this thing, but I have wirebrushed a lodge that I'm giving away. Luckily I didn't get any silver left behind. I got more layers to stick by rebaking at 500F for another hour. Did that work for you?

This pan CI alright. Here's how it looked when I got it.

After seasoning:

This thing is my deep dish pizza pan:

Except my crispy caramelized cheesecrust™ keeps ripping off my seasoning... and this pan just seems to love rusting even if I immediately oil it or add another layer of seasoning after use.

I just stripped and reaseasoned the pan from scratch, and it's still giving me trouble after every use (there are also several casting flaws like the pits seen here):

Last edited by RustyP; 03-15-2015 at 03:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyP View Post
Could be possible that the skillet was dirty, but... The only thing on it is the previous layer of seasoning. That said, somehow the inside of the skillet rusted a little bit THROUGH that layer of seasoning! Perhaps it was dirty underneath, but I was pretty thorough with scrubbing (without soap) and drying.

I'm using nitrile gloves. The pan is definitely not hot enough to break them down (otherwise my fingers would probably break down too!). The other two pans in the oven didn't have this issue at all, and they were done the same way. I use a fresh clean glove and new Wypalls (commercial paper towels) every time.

-------------------------------

I've seen this issue once before during one of my very first seasoning attempts, but it was only on a small spot on that one pan.

I have baked the pans again (500F for 30 minutes), and the pan is now acting like a normal pan, except for a few small streaks that still seem to be slightly oleophobic.

I'm doing another coat of seasoning just to see what happens. Interestingly, I saw a little bit of oleophobic action on the handle of another pan that is also in the oven, but it was weaker than what I talked about in the OP.

I suspect the problem will be resolved if I do one more coat after this bake.

I wish I had tested a different oil.. totally forgot.

btw, the base layer of seasoning on that first pan is beeswax. It looks good, but it did NOT hold up against my cheese-crust deep dish pizza. Beeswax looks nicer, but I don't think it's the winner by itself. Maybe they're onto something with that Crisbees stuff.
I myself see to many issues with your statements. It might be best that you tell us your every step to seasoning your pan. Everyone has there little twist, what is yours. Only way we can really help is by knowing what you are doing wrong.

Start with how do you clean a dirty piece (strip)
How are you washing it wash. Etc.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyP View Post
Craig - That's an interesting point. I didn't wire brush this thing, but I have wirebrushed a lodge that I'm giving away. Luckily I didn't get any silver left behind. I got more layers to stick by rebaking at 500F for another hour. Did that work for you?
Rusty, I haven't tried a different seasoning temperature although it might be something to try. I've seasoned it 4 times with Crisco at 400F X 2 hours each time. The seasoning is decent, so now I'm just cooking with it.

Last edited by Craig B; 03-22-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:44 PM

I found a spot of something on the oven grates that is causing this. Whatever it is, it doesn't burn even at 550F - or at least it doesn't solidify. It's almost like watery molasses. No idea who cooked what, but I think I've found the culprit. The stuff seems to outgas at high heat and those gases hitting the pan cause the next coat of oil not to stick.

Might have to send this to the lab and see if I can develop a new oleophobic coating...
Old 03-31-2015, 06:10 PM

A quick way to clean oven grates, send them swimming in the lye tank.

I keep everything clean, that is just me.