Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cooking In Cast Iron

Notices

Cooking In Cast Iron Discuss Cast Iron Cooking & Recipe Requests

Old 03-08-2016, 01:30 AM

Default Cooking With Charcoal

Charcoal briquettes are great. They are the cheapest charcoal out there. They light easily, give off the highest heat and give off the most consistent heat the longest. Also, you can control the heat in and on a camp oven by counting the number of briquettes used. Canít beat that. For grilling or using a BBQ they work wonderfully.

Many years ago I bought an large expensive bag of hardwood charcoal. I found it took more, burned faster and required more attention. So my next bag was back to briquettes.

That was when I realized how strong and acidic the fumes were coming from the briquettes. The chemicals used to process them and glue them together hit me and my food. I had thought the food was supposed to taste taste that way. I was wrong. It does not need to have an acidic chemical flavor. The hardwood charcoal didnít do that.

I no longer will let a hot dog near a briquette, let alone a lobster tail or a steak. Has anyone else out there sworn off briquettes for cooking good food, in a pot or not?

Hilditch
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2016, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Cooking With Charcoal

I rarely, rarely use them. The bag I have is about 6 years old and have plenty left. I use wood. Oak or maple mostly because that is what falls down around me. You can't beat t he taste of a steak cooked over wood, in my opinion.

I have used pine up north for my DO. I works OK, but burns fast and messy. What ever you do, don't let a cinder drop into your food when checking it. Not a good taste.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:21 AM

I have my own sawmill and wood shop so I cut and dry apple, cherry, beach, yellow birch, and maple for all my outdoor cooking needs, when not using my gas grill.

No briquettes needed.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:39 AM

I use a combo of wood and briquettes. Never noticed any acidic taste from them. I will try hardwood this year to compare. I have also cooked over wood many times. I noticed I get more of a char flavor over briquettes from the juices hitting the briquettes.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:14 AM

I normally cook over a hardwood (oak, hickory, beech, elm, etc.) fire/coals and rarely cook with charcoal, but when I do I can't tell the difference in taste. I guess my palate is not very discriminating or maybe it's the kind of briquettes I use. They aren't all created equally. Some briquettes like Royal Oak and Stubbs are made of hardwood. Others like Kingsford and store brands are made from softwood.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:36 PM

I quit using regular charcoal briquettes years ago I generally use "cowboy brand" hardwood lump charcoal. it generally goes on sale around the 4th of July and there's coupons you can get online.
http://www.cowboycharcoal.com/
or if you have the time and two steel barrels you can always make your own charcoal.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:34 PM

http://virtualweberbullet.com/charcoal.html

Good article on charcoal
Old 03-08-2016, 03:47 PM

Interesting unsigned article. Kingsford adds coal, huh. I mentioned acidity in post #1. One may want to check out pics of cast iron skillets used on coal burning stoves to see what this natural material can do to cast iron.

It would be nice to think that the CEOs of Weber and Kingsford donít play golf together, etc. and that there were no politics in that article. BTW, petroleum products, read oil, come from vegetation too.

Hilditch
Old 03-08-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Hilditch View Post
Interesting unsigned article. Kingsford adds coal, huh. I mentioned acidity in post #1. One may want to check out pics of cast iron skillets used on coal burning stoves to see what this natural material can do to cast iron.

It would be nice to think that the CEOs of Weber and Kingsford donít play golf together, etc. and that there were no politics in that article. BTW, petroleum products, read oil, come from vegetation too.

Hilditch
It's been covered above but I will repeat. Bricketts are pressed with oil based products. Even burning until white will still leave residue/smell. There is no high end charcoal grill mfg that does not recommend natural charcoal.
Natural charcoal might be a little harder to gauge proper amount etc. but you get use to it. I am also curious about the coal added to kingsford and the effect of sulfur on cast iron camp DOs. Many skillets of older age show sulfur/coal pitting from coal fired stoves.

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------[/SIZE]

Also. When I use my ceramic dome grill/smoker I of course use natural charcoal per their instructions. Pork butts get smoked for about 8 hours. I never have to add charcoal. It lasts a long time.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
Bricketts are pressed with oil based products.
I can't seem to find the provenance for that statement anywhere unless you are talking about some of the "match light" type products. Can you direct to where that might be stated?