Miami Fry Pan

MReynard

Hi all! I'm brand new to this site but had a pan that I can't find very much information on.

I've been collecting cast iron for years, but just to cook out of. Never really paid attention to brand names and such. So when my mom's friend said she wanted a cast iron pan, I had a spare one laying around I thought I'd give to her. I cleaned it up and it turns out to be one I'd not really seen before.

On the bottom it is stamped Favorite Piqua Ware with a Diamond Miami symbol and 8a. It is painted/enameled in blue. I can find things on the Miami but I've not seen any that are enameled.

Does anyone know anything about these? It has such a smooth finish I'm thinking about keeping it for myself for eggs, etc. and giving my moms friend a different one out of my collection. I just don't know what the worth, history, etc. is, especially because of its unique color.

I appreciate any help that can be given to me. Thank you!

Favorite Piqua was not in business for very long, relative to the other major brands. Still, they made some fine pieces, and when they closed, their patterns were snatched up by another maker. That shade of blue makes their enameled pieces instantly recognizable. The Miami line was their economy brand, with less variety and slightly smaller dimensions than their regular. Enameled Miami are therefore a bit unusual. If its enamel is intact (unusual for a nearly 100 year old pan), it would be considered a valuable collectible.

http://www.castironcollector.com/favorite.php

http://www.castironcollector.com/economy.php

Thanks Doug, I appreciate the information and the help.

I'd say the enamel is probably about 70-80% there. It's chipped around the rim and handle and a little bit on the bottom along the rim there. Otherwise on the sides and the majority of the bottom it is in decent shape.

It's a pretty pan. Hard to believe it was that nice under the rust. I think my mom's friend will definitely be getting a different one from my collection. This one I'm going to keep to use for myself.

If I can, I'll try to post some pictures.

Thanks again!

Back