Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 08-23-2020, 07:49 PM

Default Hammered Chrome Lodge - Cleaning?

Hey all,

I feel like this is pretty cool. My grandmother recently passed away (not the cool part), and I was asked if I wanted anything from the estate. Knowing there likely wasn't anything, I mentioned that the only thing I could think of was cast iron pots/pans, if she had any (she wasn't doing much cooking in the last decade). The only piece was the one shown here, which apparently belonged to my great grandma.

From what I can tell, this is a chrome-plated, hammered-finish, cast iron chicken fryer(?) by Lodge, likely made in the 1930's. I've struggled to find further details about it or the hammered chrome pieces in general, so if anyone can share, I'd love to know.

What are good steps to clean the chrome? I'm familiar with the various approaches to refurbishing/cleaning standard cast iron, but have never come across a chrome plated one. The chrome is structurally intact everywhere (nothing peeling off). It'd be fun to get some of the gunk off and give it some shine.

Should the inside surface be chrome or black (bare cast iron)? It's currently relatively smooth, so I'm debating how much I should attack this.

Pictures attached.

Thanks!
Tyler

https://imgur.com/0zOF6XY
https://imgur.com/cDDK3bL
https://imgur.com/l681Kd0
https://imgur.com/x8Ymn8l
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2020, 08:23 PM
Site Admin

Default Re: Hammered Chrome Lodge - Cleaning?

See: http://www.castironcollector.com/cleaning.php#spray or http://www.castironcollector.com/lyebath.php

Don't use anything more abrasive than 0000 steel wool to assist in any cleaning.

Image Image
Old 08-23-2020, 08:53 PM

First...trying again on the pictures.

Second, thanks for the tip. Can I use a chrome polish for motorcycles/cars? What about the inside? Should it be black or chrome?

Thanks,
Tyler
Old 08-23-2020, 09:35 PM

Wow, that's nice.

By my understanding, plated pieces where the plating has worn through in places are worth about the same as similar unplated pieces.

But pieces where the plating is still completely intact are worth more than their non-plated equivalents. They're just a lot more rare.

If you clean all that gunk off the inside and outside and find the plating truly is completely intact, you've got yourself quite a piece there. And even if it's worn, that's still quite a piece.

I got into CI due to inheriting my grandmother's pieces as well (though I sat on them for 20 years before I "woke up"). Then I added a lot more pieces to them, with no regrets. Perhaps this will lead you down a similar path. If so, great cooking times ahead.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:13 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerA View Post
Can I use a chrome polish for motorcycles/cars? What about the inside? Should it be black or chrome?
I would not use polishes, it will be as shiny as it needs to be without. The inside was once plated, but usage has worn it off, season it as bare iron.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:54 AM

That should clean up real nice. I too would treat the inside like you would another skillet. Sorry to hear about your lose. I truely am. Youll ALWAYS love and keep this piece I would say.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricC View Post
But pieces where the plating is still completely intact are worth more than their non-plated equivalents. They're just a lot more rare.

<snip>

I got into CI due to inheriting my grandmother's pieces as well (though I sat on them for 20 years before I "woke up"). Then I added a lot more pieces to them, with no regrets. Perhaps this will lead you down a similar path. If so, great cooking times ahead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
Youll ALWAYS love and keep this piece I would say.
I think it'd be cool if the plating is intact on the inside, but I'm certainly not looking to sell this piece and therefore don't care much about its value. I do think this is something that I'll treasure for a variety of reasons. It came from my great grandma, it's a cool chromed/hammered finish, it has a lid (I'd been looking for CI pan with a lid), and it is deeper (I'd been looking for a deep 10" CI pan). So it checks a bunch of "needs" that I had with my pans while also having some other cool factors.

EricC - I started to appreciate old cast iron about ten years ago, so this (thankfully) isn't new to me. I have a few Griswolds, a few Wagners, a few (old) Lodges, and a few others. Two or three of these came from my grandpa on the other side of the family too, which brings some cool factor. Certainly not an extensive collection, but enough for my cooking.

I'll try some cleaning on this one and let you know how it goes! Thanks for the thoughts.

Thanks,
Tyler