SBL Griswold #4

Ty L.

Today I was out with my kid working on a Boy Scout merit badge and at lunchtime we had an extra hour to kill. Fortunately, there was an antique mall less than 2 miles from where we ate lunch. After being discouraged by all the overpriced spinners, some ruined pieces that were cleaned using power tools and covered with swirl marks that dug into the metal (including a #9 slant EPU with a heat ring), a Wagner Sidney O. #8 with a small hole drilled through the handle, and other sad endings for formerly good iron, I was all but ready to give up and leave. Luckily my kid is more patient than I with some things and insisted we continue. Near the end we walked into a booth with 4 or 5 skillets that were obviously priced based on size rather than rarity. I picked up this #4 for $20. It was next to a Wagner 1055 priced at $24 and next to that was a Wagner 1058 priced at $28. The #4 was also in the best condition of all the skillets in that booth.

Attachments

• 4top.jpg
    4top.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 4bottom.jpg
    4bottom.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 69
Jeffrey,

My last several hunts have resulted in very little or nothing. This is despite the fact that if I see anything collectible and in good condition for $12 or less I'll pick it up just because if nothing else it increases in value over time. I just looked up my cast iron spreadsheet that keeps track of all the vintage iron I've bought, when I bought it, and how much it cost. I was a little surprised. Only three pieces in 2017 so far. Strangely enough two of those are #4 SBL Griswolds.

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------
KevM,
I found one yesterday too. unfortunately its a griswag No4 but still a 4

I saw a couple of sold listings on ebay for those that surprised me. Over $50 if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
I found one yesterday too. unfortunately its a griswag No4 but still a 4

How common or uncommon are #4's in general? I ask because I got a GrisWag #4 last week, too. I bought it knowing there's not much value in GrisWags as collectibles, but I didn't have a #4, it has a nice cooking surface, and the price was right.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:
If you're trying to make a complete set of a specific series of skillets, the #2's, #4's, and anything #12 and up are often the rare ones, if those sizes even exist for that series.

I suggest you get a copy of The Book of Wagner and Griswold and/or the Book of Griswold and Wagner, often referred here as The Red Book and Blue Book, respectively. While the pricing info is dated, the pictures and the book's format make it very easy to readily identify a piece and determine it's rarity relative to other sizes within the same series.

Mike R as Ty L. said #2's, #4's, and anything #12 and up are often the rare ones. there are also #0's and even #1 for the Erie slant series. they were just not as common as say a #8 or #10. for #0's and #2's you have to watch for fakes most fakes are pretty easy to spot but some are pretty good.
http://www.castironcollector.com/fakes.php

Back