Unusual Griswold Mail Box

D_Madden

this isn't mine, but the owner allowed me to take some pics and post on the internet to try to gather some info about it. As it turns out it is a pretty unique griswold cast iron mailbox... and apparently the only one with an actual griswold logo as part of the markings (the rest are just griswold name and pattern numbers.)

https://imgur.com/a/a8O0VtD

I got the following info from a user on the griswold and wagner collectors facebook group.

I included the users name to give credit for his cast iron mailbox expertise.

Brad Schwarting This mail box was in the #45, about 1915 catalog only as a line drawing. It was listed as a #1 rural mail box and was sold with a 7' 2x2 angle iron for a post and 2 1/2" rods to brace it. There are no pattern or style numbers on them. They are quite heavy 15-18 lbs and are 18"L x 6W x 6D, they have no flag and came with an aluminum, black or white paint finish with bronze lettering with a japanned black post. It is the only Griswold mail box to sport the Griswold logo. Until a few years ago there were none to back up the catalog drawing but now there are a handful in collections.

LknuQlq.jpg

wow... that helps to see the catalog pic... I was having trouble picturing how it was actually mounted and used... since the post was missing... unusual design for a mailbox... I wonder how long they made this style?

Now there is something you dont see everyday! I think thats awesome, I would try to put it to use for something.........

Back