Unknown - Big Eared, Flat Bottomed #5

There was a similar discussion back in April by JMoss regarding a "big Eared" pan and DougD pretty much narrowed it down to an unknown maker.

Below is Dougs reply to the post by JMoss.

There are really no experts. Just people who have seen more pans than other people, and are in a position to draw comparisons (or the lack thereof) and make some educated guesses. So, let's look at the characteristics.

The shape of the underside of the handle hole may look to some like BSR. To me, not so much, plus no ridge all the way to the sidewall. Also, there is some question as to whether or not the smooth bottom skillets we think look like BSR are in fact BSR.

OK, then, maybe the handle looks a little bit Lodge. Maybe the 3 on top of the handle looks a little like the 3 on some Lodges. But there are no confirmed Lodge smooth bottoms.

Nor did Lodge or BSR put incised size numbers on handle tops.

The three on the top looks a little like some Martins. Yes, I agree with that. But Martin #3s have spouts nowhere near this big. These spouts are Griswold big, but this ain't a Griswold, either.

What I would call this is just some small unknown foundry using a pretty nice skillet as the basis for its own pattern, but in the process taking a few measures to try to hide that fact.

Funny that the foundry has been on the webpage foundry list forever. The only notation from Steve Stephens' list was "(marked on paper label only; c.1920s?) skillets". I would guess later. Newspaper archive results are mostly from 1934 -1948, but some indicate the firm operated into the 1960s.

Back