Bare pan soaks up oil

PeteK

Folks,

I don't have extensive experience, but at this point I have stripped about 8 pans to bare metal using a lye tank and seasoned them from there.

This one #7 small logo Griswold feels different than all of the rest. Rough, and extra dry. And it soaks up my seasoning oil quite unlike the other pans I've done, both top and bottom. I would say I easily dropped at least two tablespoons in the inside bottom alone (at 200° or so), and within a few minutes it had all soaked in and it felt dry again!

Has anyone run into this before? I haven't baked it yet. I was wondering if it could have originally been chrome plated or enameled or something. It has 701H on the bottom.

Thanks as always!

Did this piece have any of the hallmarks of fire damage? Dusty rose/reddish patches with a whitish haze? Extremely pitted pieces also exhibit that "oil sponge" trait. A photo from before applying oil would probably be very telling.

Did this piece have any of the hallmarks of fire damage? Dusty rose/reddish patches with a whitish haze? Extremely pitted pieces also exhibit that "oil sponge" trait. A photo from before applying oil would probably be very telling.

It was very dark, that's all. None of the other signs you mentioned. Like I said, I wiped oil on it, but didn't bake it. I'll throw it in the lye tank today before leaving and take a picture tonight.

Thanks.

Back