Cast Iron Collector Forums

Cast Iron Collector Forums (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/index.php)
-   Show & Tell (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What is This Skillet? (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5646)

Nichole M 07-02-2017 07:57 PM

What is This Skillet?

3 Attachment(s)
Here is the other find today. I thought it was a BSR, as it was laying on the ground face down. When I picked it up and turned it over I saw the big ears and the raised #9. I am not familiar enough with BSR (as there are so very few in my area) but I didn't think this all matched. Anyone have some thoughts for me? It's currently in the lye bath so I hope something shows up on the bottom once the crud is off. Thanks.

Doug D. 07-02-2017 08:58 PM

Re: What is This Skillet?

Hopefully, it will say Lodge at 12 o'clock. Maybe not.

Nichole M 07-02-2017 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug D. (Post 36342)
Hopefully, it will say Lodge at 12 o'clock. Maybe not.

As it's been soaking all afternoon I took a peek. No such luck for any help on the back. It looks like it's going to be totally blank. May just be a mystery.

Doug D. 07-02-2017 09:45 PM

Doesn't have to say Lodge to be Lodge. Most of them don't.

Nichole M 07-02-2017 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug D. (Post 36344)
Doesn't have to say Lodge to be Lodge. Most of them don't.

Good to know.

Nichole M 07-04-2017 06:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
All done! I think it came out great! I've wanted a #9 for some time but just couldn't find one other than once at an antique store for $95. So I waited and finally gave up. That's when I found this guy! I've been restoring a friends #9 Wagner/Griswold for them so it was kind of ironic.

Dan B 07-04-2017 09:20 PM

Wow, that turned out beautifully!

Having a look at the "Identifying No-Name Iron" section of CIC it seems that your skillet fits the description of a 1930's "no-notch" Lodge i.e.

- Skillets have inset heat ring with single notch opposite handle at 12 o'clock.
- Raised size number on top of handle or " high size number at 12 o'clock
- Raised small molder's mark letter at 6 o'clock
- Some earlier "no-notch" patterns were re-purposed, but otherwise have the same characteristics

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Nichole M 07-04-2017 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan B (Post 36366)
Wow, that turned out beautifully!

Having a look at the "Identifying No-Name Iron" section of CIC it seems that your skillet fits the description of a 1930's "no-notch" Lodge i.e.

Cheers

Cool! Thanks!

Sharon Shuman 07-12-2017 12:54 PM

That looks great Nichole! I think you've got this cleaning and seasoning thing down.:D

Nichole M 07-12-2017 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharon Shuman (Post 36434)
That looks great Nichole! I think you've got this cleaning and seasoning thing down.:D

Thank you! Strangely I really enjoy restoring these guys. I get a thrill out of bringing a piece back to life and into circulation again.