Cast Iron Collector Forums

Cast Iron Collector Forums (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cooking In Cast Iron (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How do you use a bacon press? (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1061)

Angie C. 07-21-2014 02:34 PM

How do you use a bacon press?

I've been looking at cast iron bacon presses, both online and in stores. Do you have to pre-heat the bacon press? I usually place my bacon in a cold CI frying pan, so it doesn't stick so badly. I also add a few T of water when I first start it cooking, to render out the fat and give a nicer crisp texture to it. Wondering how bacon turns out when cooked with a press?

Do you leave the bacon press on the whole time the bacon is cooking? Most of the ones I've seen in person seem so small, they don't seem to be large enough to do enough bacon for a family of four (including two hungry teenaged boys!).

John S. 07-21-2014 04:50 PM

Re: How do you use a bacon press?

I also would like to know. We don't have 4 folks eating at home anymore because the kids have all left the nest (Thank Goodness) But I can gobble down the food like they was still there.:D

JosephDurham 09-06-2015 08:20 AM

I know this post is old, but still thought I'd answer.

I preheat my press in the same skillet or even another one that I am going to use at the same time. And yes, I keep my press on the entire time that I am cooking my bacon. I simply cover from one end of the bacon to as far as it will go, and once it is how the family likes it I simply flip the bacon and cook the other end the same way, which doesn't take nearly as long.

I have two presses and alternate depending on how much bacon I'm fixing. One is large and round, the other is rectangle.

Hope this helps.

Joseph

KevinE 09-06-2015 09:37 AM

I've never used one. Life's too short to worry about wrinkly bacon.

W. Hilditch 09-06-2015 01:34 PM

Me either. It's right up there with CI shower shoes. Besides, wrinkly bacon tastes better.

Hilditch

RLMuse 09-06-2015 11:22 PM

I don't use one, but I have one. My wife uses it when she cooks bacon.

Me, I start my bacon on low heat and turn it regularly. It doesn't curl this way. It renders a lot of the fat out and cooks really crispy without burning.

DougH 09-08-2015 12:25 PM

I use mine regularly, and will preheat it in the skillet. Then I'll put the bacon in and put the press on one side. Let it be for a bit, then move to the other side. Take the press off, flip, repeat the process. I think it cooks more evenly with the press because it's making better contact...but maybe that's all in my head.

I will also use the bacon press for grilled cheese and other pressable sandwiches.

Dan Farmer 09-15-2015 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinE (Post 13811)
I've never used one. Life's too short to worry about wrinkly bacon.

Winner!! :laughup:

Dara Kell 09-28-2015 03:10 PM

I love my bacon press and this is how I use it....Start my bacon and just lay the press on it and as the bacon cooks I lift the press and move it to another part of the bacon. You can flatten all the curly parts of the bacon with the press and when cooking for a larger group, I move it around from different spots and cooks the bacon wonderfully.

Stan D 10-07-2015 06:00 PM

As I get wrinkly myself, I tend to be drawn to wrinkles. I have one, but don't use it on bacon. I have a grill pan, and use it to make my grilled cheese sammich's wrinkly.

I kinda want a Shar Pei, too.

http://www.nextdogbreed.com/bhao/images/31.jpeg