Griswold Scotch bowl questions

Alan P

After 3 days in E-tank I am still getting a black film when scubing inside of bowl. How clean should one go?
Also I do have what looks like the original handle, not in great shape. and no side ring. What do folks think about make a new handle and ring?
Here are couple pictures. The before picture is after I cleaned off the heavy dirt and scale.

Attachments

• ScotchBowlbefore.jpg
    ScotchBowlbefore.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 18
  • ScotchbowlInside.jpg
    ScotchbowlInside.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 18
  • ScotchBowlBottom.jpg
    ScotchBowlBottom.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 18
Might be able to get a shop that custom makes wire-wound springs to make them. Just a thought, I don't know for sure.

There are several online companies that sell ornamental /architectual metal parts including rings. A ring is not too hard to make so I will fabricate one myself. But from a collector standpoint do you think it has an affect by not being original?

I think if what you end up using adheres to the size of an original, it won't make any difference value-wise. Damaged iron is the main detractor of value. Curious, did you not run the handle through electro with the bowl? The photo is inconclusive, but it didn't appear that bad.

I did put the handle thorough the e tank. It is very pitted, a little thin and the bend on one end is broken off. I will use it for now but replace it at some point.

Alan. I have replaced both tipping rings and bail handles in the past and have found that the wire (round) rings that one uses for tomato plants and various other vining plants work quiet well. They are about the same diameter as those found on many cast iron pots and they will season about the same as the original ones. You can pick them up at your local hardware or nursery. A heavy duty wire cutter will be needed for an exact cut or a hacksaw. Tipping rings can be formed using a piece of 1" conduit or something similar that is close to the diameter needed. Good luck.
The conduit is used as a pattern to wrap the wire around and once you get the roundness slide the wire off of it and cut the ends to close the ring.

Back