Can Iron Be Too Smooth?

BenjaminO

Over the last few months I've been trying to get some respectable seasoning on this No.4 skillet that I got from Shawn R. http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2434
DSCF8993 by Refinders, on Flickr
I sanded the rough terrible surface down to a smooth shine, with some remaining pitting on the edges and sides. Here it is after sanding for several hours:
DSCF8997 by Refinders, on Flickr
I thought it would be good to go, but after seasoning it several times I am having issues with the seasoning coming off in the middle of the cooking surface. During cooking and when cleaning up little areas of the seasoning are coming off, leaving it patchy an unsightly. Perhaps I made it too smooth?
My question is, can I do something to roughen up the surface to what other well used pans look like? Perhaps some kind of weak acid etch would give it the smooth even, but ever so slightly "porous" texture of a normal undamaged Griswold? And before anyone asks, I did my normal seasoning routine with THIN coats of grape seed oil, so I don't think it the infamous "flaking" effect.
DSCF8998 by Refinders, on Flickr
DSCF8996 by Refinders, on Flickr

If I had a skillet that looked like that after cooking in it a few times I'd accuse the dishwasher of blatant abuse and remove her CI cleaning privileges. Just a loofa & hot water. Period. It looks like it was cleaned with Brillo or BKF.

With Griswold CI almost being like steel in some cases anyway, I'd hit it with 120 sandpaper just to CMA and then go through a lb. of bacon two strips at a time with a wipe out and a rinse in between.

The roughness of the cooking surface to begin with, along with the pitting and roughness of the handle have me wondering about its history and origin.

Hilditch

I'd guess this particular Griswold was made when iron was still iron. Having said that, I have noted that some very highly factory polished pieces are quite challenging to get a manual seasoning to adhere, handle griddles being one example.

If I had a skillet that looked like that after cooking in it a few times I'd accuse the dishwasher of blatant abuse and remove her CI cleaning privileges. Just a loofa & hot water. Period. It looks like it was cleaned with Brillo or BKF.

With Griswold CI almost being like steel in some cases anyway, I'd hit it with 120 sandpaper just to CMA and then go through a lb. of bacon two strips at a time with a wipe out and a rinse in between.

The roughness of the cooking surface to begin with, along with the pitting and roughness of the handle have me wondering about its history and origin.

Hilditch
To be clear, this picture was taken right after polishing, before seasoning the inside. I'll have to get a picture up with it's current state.

I'd hit it with 120 grit, but I was hoping for something that would give it a very slightly textured but not scratched surface like you find on a hundred year old pan underneath the gunk.
I was wondering about mixing up some peracetic acid and doing a gentle etch.... Maybe I'll try plain vinegar first.

I'd guess this particular Griswold was made when iron was still iron. Having said that, I have noted that some very highly factory polished pieces are quite challenging to get a manual seasoning to adhere, handle griddles being one example.

Do you approach such highly polished pieces differently than regular iron when seasoning? Perhaps there's a special trick to getting to stay in place?

Maybe I'll have to get some bacon like Hilditch says, it's been a couple years since I've cooked any... I hear that the WHO is shaking up the bacon market.

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

Muriatic Acid might be one way to do it.

Any ideas on strength and time?

Doug and Hilditch, what do you mean by "when iron was still iron" and "Griswold CI almost being like steel in some cases" respectively? does newer iron not polish to a high luster so easily?

I've never done it but I'm sure there are a few youtubes on the subject. I just used straight stuff on galvanized steel to be able to solider it

Benjamin, You need to get your head together between the words seasoning, carbon and gunk. Call it what you wish but it is the thing that makes cast iron better than a teflon coated pan. The scratches will fill in and disappear as the seasoning builds and will help hold the seasoning.

Don't worry about the percentage of carbon in your CI now as per CI or steel. You can do your homework on that later.

Granted, most processed bacon from the store can be scary. I didn't say you had to eat it. Just cook it! Burn it. Whatever. It's good to get your seasoning started in the skillet and it won't kill you. It just needs something to hold on to to stick. I'd forget the acid crap.

Hilditch

Although new to CI, the only reason pork bacon makes it in my house is for seasoning. Ive noticed the glaring difference after a few cooks. I cook 2 pieces at a time nice and slow. Made my pans far more usable very quickly. Treat that thing with "kid gloves"

Benjamin, I know you are a master of seasoning. I have seen your work and your skillets are among the most beautifully seasoned skillets I have ever seen. I know this skillet is kind of an experiment and that is the only reason I would suggest this. Have you tried filling it to the rim with a vinegar solution and letting it soak overnight? I know the outside of that skillet was lovely so I wouldn't submerge it but I think the thing we try to avoid with vinegar might be what you are trying to achieve here.

Bonnie might have a good idea with the vinegar. What about letting the cooking surface rust for a little while.

Back