Where are all the larger pans?

John E

I have only been collecting for about four months now. Maybe I just need to be more patient, but I'm having a hard time finding pieces in larger sizes. I've only seen two pans #10 or greater, and they were ridiculously overpriced. Number 6 through 9 I'm seeing with only a bit more regularity. Almost everything I come across is #3-#5, and I'm pretty sure I've seen more #3 BSRs than all other pans combined. Maybe that's the curse of being in the south :).

Is this typical? Or am I just unlucky?

I met up with a local picker today and took everything he had (that's kind of the deal I made). One was a BSR Red Mountain Series #14 regular skillet.

John, i just started playing with the skillets...3 and 5's seem to be abundant. I found a little "junk" store last week in alabama and bought 12 pcs including several 9 and 10's, and some lids
i am finding that looking in "out of the way" places can yield some goodies.

I passed on a BSR #14 skillet recently b/c it had been so aggressively ground at the gates one of the pour spouts was pointed. Would have been a good user, but I figured I could just use two #8s as well. And I do have plenty of #8s. Above a few Lodge and BSR #10s, I have only found (at a reasonable price) a Martin #12 (heavy) and a Favorite Piqua Ware #12 (old, Erie-like pattern, smiley with ghost of the block TM, lighter than most other #8s).

Almost everything I come across is #3-#5, and I'm pretty sure I've seen more #3 BSRs than all other pans combined. Maybe that's the curse of being in the south :).

Is this typical? Or am I just unlucky?

I thought the same thing and I started more recently. I've been looking very aggressively and in the past few weeks, have bought several Lodge #10s plus a #9, and Slant Erie #9 (well, it used to be before the pitting but it's flat and is an excellent user), as well as the BSR #14. The most I paid for any of them is $10. Some came off Craiglist, some from antique malls, some from pickers.

I have mostly seen nothing larger 8's and smaller locally in shops with 8's and 3's most prevalent.

Unfortunately on Saturday, I missed out on a Sydney Hollow Ware #9 skillet and Griswold #34 Plett Pan that someone was selling on Craigslist for $15 total. Had he checked his mail the day before, he would have seen I'd contacted him. He responded to an email that came in as he sat down at his computer.

Oh, well. Next!

Encouraging words :)

Weather is looking up for this weekend, and I've got an antiques expo and flea market in my sights. Hopefully luck will be on my side then.

I don't have much success using my 12 or 14 on our electric coil stove.To much moving things to center.Outer edges stay cooler.I just like owning that big iron.

Well, better luck this weekend. On the large pan quest, I grabbed a #10 three notch lodge cheap. That'll give me something to use as I keep hunting. Also got a colonial breakfast skillet, and a #8 that is completely caked over but very well may be a 2nd series Erie with the full rib handle. Anxiously awaiting the lye to reveal its truths.

Here's some pictures of the #8. Anyone care to guess what's going to turn up under all that gunk? I'm now thinking an earlier Wagner.

Not sure about that #10.

I did see an unmarked Wagner #12 today but I didn't get it. As is, it's pretty clean although it does have a slight warp. The seller has a pretty reasonable price on it. If you are interested in it, John, send me a private message.

Back