What happened to this pan?

CraigA.

Paid a few bucks for this and thought I had a decent pan to work with. Bottom was completely crusted so that you could hardly see the heat ring or the notches. But that cleaned up alright.

The inside was fairly smooth but looked like it needed a good cleaning before re-seasoning. Wish I had before pics.
After using the oven cleaner on it, all the seasoning was gone and these craters started to form. The more I scrubbed with the chore boy scrubber, the more craters showed up. You can see and feel that a roughness runs about 1 inch up the sidewalls.

My guess is that someone found this pan in a rusty condition and filled it an inch deep with vinegar. Then quickly seasoned it for sale to the first dummy willing to buy it.

What do y'all think happened here?

That is what you call rust pitting, but you know this. Hey just clean and season and put it back in use. There was a poster here back a few years that had a real pitted skillet and I mean pitted, and cleaned and seasoned it and made a video of himself frying an egg. Heck it worked just fine.

Well you might be right. When I bought it was fairly smooth. Strip the seasoning and it's cratered like the moon. it might just season up alright again.

Back