What did I do here?

Chris Joseph

So Just yesterday I cleaned and seasoned this Lodge Pan. I did it before reading on this sight about lower smoke points and using fats such as Crisco.
I used Sunflower oil and had the oven at 450. I seasoned 3x.

Today I wanted to use the pan with something real fatty, so I made sausage pattys and it seems to have stripped the seasoning off where I first put the patties down. Do I just roll with this and keep using it, or do I start over?

Why did the seasoning come off? After and Before pictures below.

Attachments

• IMG_4789.JPG
    IMG_4789.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4769.JPG
    IMG_4769.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 28
So Just yesterday I cleaned and seasoned this Lodge Pan. I did it before reading on this sight about lower smoke points and using fats such as Crisco.
I used Sunflower oil and had the oven at 450. I seasoned 3x.

Today I wanted to use the pan with something real fatty, so I made sausage pattys and it seems to have stripped the seasoning off where I first put the patties down. Do I just roll with this and keep using it, or do I start over?

Why did the seasoning come off? After and Before pictures below.
Guess I'm gonna try a ribeye tonight, see how it goes.

Just a wild guess on my part was too much heat when the patties were put in? I have found that I don't use near the heat on the cast iron that one would use with other cook ware.

Try using a Brillo or SOS pad. Scrub out the spots, then reseason. Shouldnt have to strip it bare unless you want to. I had one do this with a piece of ham, this worked for me that time.

I had a minor issue a while back with frozen sausage patties and was thinking a bit too much heat. Maybe need to thaw them first?

It could just be the lighting but that darkness in the center looks like you also had the heat a little too high.

That happened with my Lodge pan as well. Looks unsightly, but still nothing stuck and as other have said here, just keep cooking on it and eventually it will get better.

Back