Wax on my cloverleaf doughnut form

MitchellC

I put my newly acquired Ace Co cloverleaf doughnut form in the oven to preheat for seasoning. When I pulled it out of the oven, I could see something was on it. I wiped it with my finger and it hardened on my fingertip. It looked and felt like some sort of wax that I assume was put on it as a rust inhibitor. I put the form in a lye bath for about 13 hours. The water was only about 40° when I brought it inside though so it had to warm up to room temp (65°) overnight. When I took it out of the lye bath, I washed it in hot, soapy water, then stuck in the oven to dry completely after drying it with paper towels first. Unfortunately, neither the lye nor the soapy water got the wax off. Anybody have suggestions on how to remove it? The piece had already been completely cleaned before I bought it. There was no rust or old buildup on it.

Lye bath could have been too cold (if it was going to work at all). Maybe try to burn it off over a fire (just not in a fire), sort of like a flame consumes candle wax. The only other thing I can think would be to get it hot enough to melt the wax and soak it up with some old towels.

Back