Was Told “Birdsboro,” Looking for Second Opinions on This ID

SpenserW

Quick backstory, this was my great grandmother’s skillet and it was ID’d as a Birdsboro on Reddit from someone who might be a member here too. In doing some digging online I’ve found that word is highly controversial in the cast iron community, especially on Facebook, and wanted a second opinion from y’all here.

Pictures after being cleaned up:

Bare Iron:

I believe it to be from no later than the late 1930s based on the sulfur pitting, which was also found on her LBL Griswold but wasn’t found on her pieces dating from the 1940s. It’s a few ounces lighter than my later era unpolished 3 Notch Lodge, but over a pound heavier than the same size LBL.

A very similar looking pan was sold on Etsy as a Birdsboro, seen here:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/991165...how_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

The quality seems way too good in my opinion to have been a recast. Although there are plenty of flaws on the bottom side, the cooking surface is glass smooth, depth of size mark and maker’s mark are all uniform. If this is simply one of those “we’ll never know who made this” skillets that’s fine, I just wanted to run it by the wisdom of the crowd here. What does everyone here think?

I would agree Birdsboro. The castings often seem to have flaws on the bottoms, and a sprue mark, probably obscured by pitting in this case.

Back