Wagner vs. Griswold

SarahC

I posted rust stains on a 5 quart pot with photos in another discussion area. I think cleaning and seasoning.
Doug informed me its an unmarked Wagner from the 60s.

What's the difference between a Griswold, Birmingham and Wagner. I know people go crazy over Griswolds at least on EBAY, can someone give me information on Wagner and is this piece a nice collectible.
What would this particular piece be worth?

Your question may be too tough to answer in a single post Sarah.
I stick with pre-1950s iron cookware and that is when the quality and desirable iron was made. Overall I would say that Griswold made the most and best iron cookware but Wagner was right up there with much of its pre-WWII iron. Many other companies, both large (Favorite) and small (Marion for instance) made superb cookware. I would suggest that you buy the red and blue books (Book of Wagner & Griswold and Book of Griswold and Wagner) and read as much as you can. Watch ebay and handle all the iron that you can. Get the blue book rather than the red if you want only one book.

Each foundry or company had their own designs and standards. Some like Griswold, Wagner, Favorite and many smaller companies turned out wonderful items with good style and design. Others such as Birmingham Stove & Range had, to me at least, lackluster design and I would never buy a piece. I see a lot of interest in BS&R but can't figure out why.

You may want to find the pieces or makes that you like and look for them. There is nothing really wrong with most of the newer iron but it just can't compare to the older iron and some of the really old pieces from pre-1900 are the best of all while others are on the primitive or crude side. My favorites are the stovetop skillets from c.1850-1900. Good luck.

Back