Vintage Wardway Cast Iron skillet with lid # 1433 on back

SueJames

My mom gave me a very old cast iron skillet with lid. She claims it to be old. I researched it some using the name that appears on the back "Wardway' and found there were homes build my Montgomery Wards names Wardway beginning in 1909 and were build for many years. I also found a Standard Wringer Washing machine made by Wardway around 1925/1930. Beliving there is a link to Wardway and Montgomery Ward I ordered an old catalog on line but did not find this cast iron skillet names "Wardway with the number 1433 on the back.
Does anyone have any information about this item. I would appreciate any help.
Thank you and I am so glad to find your website!
Sue James
Waynesboro Pa :?:

Re: Vintage Wardway Cast Iron skillet with lid # 1433 on bac

"Wardway" cast iron, and also "Wards Cast Iron", was produced by Wagner for Montgomery Ward in the 1930s and later. You can see examples of it and other "store brands" here:

http://www.castironcollector.com/store.php

A c/n of 1433 would be a #9.

Doug,
Thank you for that information. My mom is 87yrs old and like most folks had this dutchoven/skillet with lid comn over on Noah's Ark (kidding of course). We want to sell this item. Do you appraise or evaluate for such activities. I have pictures on line I could send you.
Thanks again
Sue

If not specifically listed in one of the collector guides, valuation is more difficult. The next step would be to check eBay completed listings search to see what like pieces have sold for (or not) recently. As with most collectibles, condition is everything. Warping, cracks, pitting all detract from value. That you have the lid, assuming it's a confirmed match (or at least made by Wagner as well), would make it more valuable. If it was listed in the blue or red book (it's not), I would guess it would be valued, if in excellent condition, at $30-35 for just the pan. The photos would be helpful.

Doub,
Thank you. I will research ebay and only bother you with photos if needed.
With appreciation and Thanks
Sue

Back