Unmarked Wagner #5 and #8 skillets?

JKress

I came across these pans a couple of weeks ago and was hoping I might be close on my identification. Perhaps you could verify or correct me.

Right now I am assuming these are both Wagners from the mid 1930's to mid 1940's. Sound about right? I recently purchased the Blue Book which is a fascinating resource. However, unless I missed it, I didn't really see any kind of an exact match there. The #5 has two dots on the underside of the handle and the #8 has a 'C'.

There are no other markings of any kind on each piece.

At first I was a little bummed about the repaired handle on the #8, but the more I use it the more I appreciate someone back in the day liked using the skillet so much they opted to repair it instead of replace. They are both nice and light. At least lighter than my more recent skillets.

Thanks

_DSC9389.jpg

_DSC9393.jpg

_DSC9398.jpg

_DSC9409.jpg

_DSC9413.jpg

These are assumed to be early unmarked Wagners, but they could be copies by another unknown. The blended rib on the underside of the handle makes dating them a little tricky, as most heat ringed Wagners had distinct reinforcement ribs. From the lack of a size number on the top of the handle one might infer they pre-dated Wagner use of catalog numbers, so pre-1924. Smooth bottom Wagners date from 1935 onward, so necessarily earlier than that.

Thank you for the info Doug. I appreciate it.

Interesting about the lack of size number being able to date the Wagners. Of course your other suggestion about being copies by another unknown certainly throws options into the mix.

Either way, they cook very well on my gas range. (y) It's always fun to come across these items for a few dollars.

Back