Tuesday

Made a couple of stops on Tuesday while in Connecticut and found some things.
Highlights:

#3 unmarked Scotch Bowl and an as yet unknown #8 skillet with heat ring that's part of the side wall from the first place. Curious what it might be. There are good pictures of the handle, bottom, etc. It will be at least a couple of days before I can clean it to see what's underneath.

From the second, what really speaks to me from the numerous pieces I bought is the Large Block Logo #3 skillet in green enamel. The enamel is in excellent condition and the green is quite beautiful although it needs a little cleaning.

http://stormforge.net/gallery/index.php/March-11-2014-finds

I was heading home and stopped for lunch. Unfortunately the antique shop across from the diner was closed during hours that supposedly their open. I could see a lot of cast iron inside. On the porch, they had things for sale including a #3 unmarked Scotch Bowl. If I'd have had an envelope in the car, I'd have slid it through the mail slot with $13 to cover the $12 plus tax. Maybe next time!

Lee, I'd like to caution you against putting your new green skillet in lye. Lye seems to etch porcelain leaving a dull surface. Dawn Power Disolver may work or cleaning in a self cleaning oven which I would think would not harm the porcelain since the insides of ovens are porcelainized.

Lee, I'd like to caution you against putting your new green skillet in lye. Lye seems to etch porcelain leaving a dull surface. Dawn Power Disolver may work or cleaning in a self cleaning oven which I would think would not harm the porcelain since the insides of ovens are porcelainized.

Thanks, Steve. I keep it out of the lye! It's been full which kept me from putting it in.

---------- Post added at 02:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 AM ----------

I am looking forward to finding out what's under the gunk on that #8 :)

It's a WWSO in the high position, with an 8 instead of the pattern number! Very thin and light. It doesn't wobble but does have a little downward warp. Considering what I paid for a box lot with this, a WWSO smooth bottom 1053, and quite nice #3 unmarked Scotch Bowl and about 20 antique bottles and telephone/electric/telegragh insulators, I can hardly complain.

Nice! I was gonna guess Wagner, but after repeatedly guessing wrong in my other thread on the Favorite I decided to just shut up and wait on this one ;)

Here's the bottom of the 1053. I have another J like this, also with the 2 dots on the handle. Have two others. An H and one with no pattern letter.

Last edited:
Here are pictures of before and after with the Dawn Power Dissolver. I did 4 or 5 10 minute session, washing it off with soap and water in between.

I don't think I can get much more off without causing problems. Some penetrated the porcelain, probably from the finish wearing from being slid on the stove top. The handle isn't a slick as the porcelain on the sides. I probably overdid it a little.
http://stormforge.net/gallery/index.php/Griswold-3-Skillet-Large-Block-Green-Enamel?page=1

Back