Trying to date this Cousances

TonyaAllyn

I recently was given this Counsances from a friend who moved. It was in much more terrible shape than this, and I'm half-way through restoring. (currently working on removing the gunk) While I've searched online all I've learned is that Cousances was purchased by Le Creuset but some of the pans I've seen online say both Le Creuset and Cousances, this one is just Cousances. It also doesn't seem to have a number or letter (possibly worn off?) Anyways, as I work to restore it I'm falling more and more in love with the pan and would really like to know anything about it that can be offered. Also sharing a photo of it's original state just incase there are any tips beyond my current plan to gunk removal and then moving on to reseasoning.

Attachments

• IMG_1201.jpg
    IMG_1201.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1200.jpg
    IMG_1200.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1203.PNG
    IMG_1203.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
It wasnt enameled on the inside. I have one kinda like this but Beige. Im guessing its from the 60s-70s.

The bottom is coated in a clear glaze, which is why you don't see any rust. Le Creuset also did this for a time, but now it's just the top rims of ovens and the outer rims of lids. All seem to be areas that cosmetic damage or noticeable chipping of colored enamel would most likely occur. Sort of like why interiors of LC ovens are "sand" colored enamel instead of white; it's going to stain anyway.

Doug, what is the clear glaze? I bought a 7-1/4 Qt LC DO in Jan 2021 for when I need a non-reactive pot. I noticed the not enameled surfaces you mention but didn't know why they weren't rusting.

Back