Tips on seasoning Enterprise sausage stuffer

JStelzer

Hello!
I’ve recently acquired my late grandmother’s Enterprise sausage stuffer. It had been stored for years in a garage where it became a house for generations of mice. I followed the cleaning advice I found on the site and Forum and it has really cleaned up nicely, and the odor is gone. I’ve read through the info on seasoning, but had questions regarding oven seasoning it.

I’m assuming I need to disassemble it somewhat in order to properly season it, but is it necessary? I read that you should season pans upside down to eliminate potential oil spots collecting, so I’m guessing I’d want to get the stuffer positioned the same way.

I planned on seasoning the entire stuffer, inside and out, just to present rust coming back. Can I season all of it the same way or would the inside need an extra coat?

Also, I’m not restoring it only as a collector’s piece. I spent many years as a young boy helping my grandma make sausage with it, and I’m excited to put it back to work (hopefully this weekend)! Any tips would be appreciated!
John

For items that were originally tinned or japanned, seasoning as you would a cast iron pan is often the choice in lieu of trying to replicate the original finish. If you wipe excess oil off very well before baking, you probably don't need to worry about runs and drips. Another possibility is to just coat everything with a very thin application of food grade (USP) mineral oil.
1670532952848.png

I was thinking that I had the restoration of my large Enterprise sausage stuffer was here on the forum, but cannot find it.

What I did was completely take it apart and strip and clean everything in my eTank. Next was season every part that would come in contact with food 4 times, just as I would season my other iron. Next was to paint all outside surfaces with a high quality black gloss paint, excluding the drive gears and shafts. The gears and shafts were lightly coated with Sanitary Petrol Gel Lubricant, made for machinery parts where contact with food product is only incidental.

I went the with a user & collector’s piece.

Right on, thanks for the advice! I’m really looking forward to putting the stuffer back into service!

I just finish one a few months ago and did as Jeff except i didn't paint the outside. I seasoned all inside parts but used stove polish instead of painting it.

I just finish one a few months ago and did as Jeff except i didn't paint the outside. I seasoned all inside parts but used stove polish instead of painting it.
Just curious how the seasoning is holding up? I am getting ready to redo one and am debating on painting vs seasion the non food contact surfaces. If I paint, then the paint could get damaged when doing any future seasoning of the inside when bakung in the oven. But then, will you ever put it in the oven again after use? Cast iron looks great when its all natural seasoned, but how oftern would you have to reseason the outside to keep rust away? Paint is less maintenance I would think. Not sure what to do with it.

It holds up just fine. After use and a bath i just wipe a little olive oil on the inside parts. The outside if it starts to rust just wipe a little polish.

Back