Tin Lid

I have no problem putting them into my eTank, and coming looking just fine. A little SOS pad time and they look great. Sure saves a lot of elbow grease.

No, Because cast iron and tin are totally different animals. Cast iron cast iron can take the heat that it takes to season it, as the tin cannot and can warped and become deformed.

The pieces that I have done are set as display pieces and not for use.

If I was to try it, it would be at lower temps and for shorter cook time, with very thin coat of oil.

If you can find an old piece of english tin, then give it a try.

How about a little info on your piece in the photo, interested here. TY.

Hi ChuckP,

As for the cover, Low & Slow. Light coat of oil Lower heat temp than cast iron. Two coats should be good to keep the rust at bay. Remember it is made for cooking, but not for the hight heat that CI can take.

Nice piece you have. sorta reminds me of an earlier broiler plate that I had, but without a cover. I will see if I can dig up a photo tomorrow as I am hitting the road today.

That's pretty slick. I've never seen anything quite like it. Thanks for the Patent info.

Do you know if the lid is actually tin or is it tin plate? Easy for me to spend your money, of course, but if it's just plated maybe you could get it re-plated. Others here please speak up if it would lower the value to get it re-plated.

Hi Scott, I think it's just unplated tin. The plan is to finish massaging it back into shape the best that I can, then just follow Jeffrey R's advice to finish it up. Half of it was smashed in when I found it.

Here is some eye candy from 1879. As you can see I did season the tin cook top. I think it came out very nice, so does the new owner.

1879 Broiler plate by Jeffrey R., on Flickr
This Broiler Plate / Hot Top is made of a cast iron base with a tin plate cook top.Made by A & W Mfg. Co. No. 3, Having 2 Pat. Dates, Sept. 5, 1876 & May 27, 1879

This is to cooking side / top. The top is pitched to the tray at the bottom to catch any grease.

1879 Broiler plate, Bottom by Jeffrey R., on Flickr

This is a photo of the bottom and would sit over an opening on the stove top to get the top hot.

Be interested to see yours when you finish. Good Luck.

Back