The little bucket from the sand (box) not, Sand Mold yes

Jeffrey R.

This here is a Baking Kettle sometimes also called French Kettle, and they were used for baking brown bread. Now if I can only find an old brown bread recipe. Some folks also call them bean pots.

The study of these early pieces is knowing a little history, knowing how things were made during the era, what things were likely used for, and of course ones opinion. Now when you have an opinion of something because sometimes that is all we have ,it should be based on all that is stated above and a hands on with these early pieces. Now we all know an opinion is what you or someone else thinks, and is not necessarily a fact. But sometimes this is all we are left with, a knowledgeable opinion.

Some pieces just talk to you. What is cool about the early pieces is the history that the piece can tell you, lets take a closer look

The ears are interesting, if not different. These are Angular ears of round-section, made from 3 parts. Looking at the photos of the ears you can see the three parts of the wooden ear pattern nicely, the horizontal and vertical pieces and the pin joining them

Looking at the basin from each side one ear leans forward and the other ear leans backwards, if that makes any sense for you. Or should I say each ear is at about 10deg angle from 90deg., one forward and the other backwards.

So one opinion is that they were placed crooked through sloppy moulding. Maybe it was a Friday job.
My opinion is that the ears were placed this way so the baking kettle would hang level and not swing freely, as if not to spill something out while hanging over the hearth.

Looking at the bottom you see a ghost gate on the bottom indicating the pattern for this kettle was a previously cast kettle. It almost looks like 2 ghost gate. A little further study needed. The other thing to note is the newer gate is off center and one side goes right to the outside edge of the bottom.

The bail being hand forged by a blacksmith, put his artistic touch with the curls on the ends of the bail, gives a nice touch.

This kettle is solid and has some weight to it.

In consultation with John Tyler Author of the Early American Cast Iron Holloware (Gray Book) Thank you John & Darlene

He is of the opinion this piece is from the Pennsylvania area, Circa 1760 - 1780

Now if you look in the Gray Book you will see its twin on page 86

Baking Kettle / French Kettle circa 1760 - 1780 by Jeffrey R., on Flickr

Saving History one Piece at a Time

That is a pretty cool piece of iron. I can always count of you to find the old ones. I don't think many made it out west. I found this kettle on page 86, I was thinking if it was for baking bread it must have had a cover and the grey book does say it was often given a lid. They called it a French kettle.

No I did not mention anything about a lid. Still doing research on if a lid was cast iron or tin.

Guess they did not make brown bread by steaming it.

Back