The family Griswold

JoeAsh

This Griswold was my great-grandfather's. When my grandmother passed in 2012, it became mine. It has now fed 4 generations of my family, and hopefully many more!

I do want to take off the old seasoning, it has begun to chip and look a mess on the inside and the sides. The bottom has also rusted a little from being in a cupboard for nearly 2 years before my grandmother passed.

1661060_400311640114157_492553920_n.jpg

I had put it in the lye bath on Saturday afternoon, took it out today to check on the progress, and WOW! Almost completely clean! There were sheets of old seasoning coming off! Just needs another day for some small tougher spots, then I can be back to using my favorite pan!

1689884_415418928603428_60527726_n.jpg

Joe,
Is that skillet chrome plated? I can't tell from the picture and that 'seasoning' that flaked off looks a little like plating.

Jack

Lye would not remove plating. Agree that build up falling off in thin sheets with lye looks unusual, though.

I asked about it before, pretty sure it's BSR based on the dimpled bottom. But it fits and has been with the Griswold all my life.

Back