Stubborn Spot

SeanD

I have a #6 Wapak that had an odd spot on it, but it was from cooking a piece of ham in it, I think. Ever since I did cook that, theres a ghost of the ham on the surface. I have stripped with Easy Off and the mark/pattern is still there. Gonna repeat and see if that works.

Try soaking it in 50/50 Vinegar and water For about an hour or 2 at a time and scrub it. A lot of times it'll get odd stains and blemishes off of pans.

I think Lodge has come out with a rust/stain eraser. I have never used one but some folks say they work well for small spots and stains.
Good luck.

I believe what Lodge sells is a "rust eraser" block meant for surface rust, but doesn't appear to be aimed at other issues. Stubborn black stains are typically one of two things: 1.) completely carbonized build-up that has no grease left in it for lye to be effective, or 2.) an area where rust was once active. The first usually requires steel wool or a SS scrubber and some elbow grease. The second can often be removed or at least minimized by spraying on straight white vinegar, letting it sit a minute, then scrubbing, again with steel wool or a SS scrubber; rinsing and repeating as necessary. If not raised, either type will blend in with additional seasoning/usage.

Thanks to you for the information. I thought Easy Off would do it, but nope. I will try the vinegar and scrubbing. Thanks again!

I believe what Lodge sells is a "rust eraser" block meant for surface rust, but doesn't appear to be aimed at other issues. Stubborn black stains are typically one of two things: 1.) completely carbonized build-up that has no grease left in it for lye to be effective, or 2.) an area where rust was once active. The first usually requires steel wool or a SS scrubber and some elbow grease. The second can often be removed or at least minimized by spraying on straight white vinegar, letting it sit a minute, then scrubbing, again with steel wool or a SS scrubber; rinsing and repeating as necessary. If not raised, either type will blend in with additional seasoning/usage.
Don't use it. Sure, it'll get the rust off but it puts marks in it akin to a pumice stone.

I think Lodge has come out with a rust/stain eraser. I have never used one but some folks say they work well for small spots and stains.
Good luck.
Please don't use this on a seasoned piece. It's kinda like a pumice stone.

Back