Stubborn carbon

Greg Gardner

I mean like next level stubborn. I have a #8 Wagner skillet, stylized logo, probably 1950s. It was in a free pile next to someone's garbage, and so encrusted with grease and carbon buildup that the bottom logo was completely covered. After a few days in the lye bath, the logo was clear, and most of the exterior buildup came off pretty easily. But there is burned on carbon in the interior cooking surface that just doesn't want to give up. I've scrubbed it with: steel wool, a stainless scrubby with salt, stainless scrubby with Barkeeper's Friend, and made some progress but it's like nothing I've encountered in restoring dozens of pieces. I put it back in the lye after each attempt so it's had plenty of time in there.

Thoughts? I know power tools are a no-go. I don't have an e-tank and not really interested in going that route. My lye bath is about 18 months old and I've wondered if it needs a refresh. Or maybe this one is just gonna be down to how much elbow grease I'm willing to put in? It's not a rare piece by any means and it's been well used - lots of utensil marks inside and it's not dead flat so I suppose at this point it's just my obsessiveness with wanting to get it back to bare iron.

Back