Spoon Rest or Ashtray

CPorter

The tiny ci skillets with long pour spouts are ashtrays or spoon rests? what were they marketed as? I've seen a couple styles, are some ashtrays and some spoon rests? If so which ones are which? A lot of questions I know, thanks for your help.

My observation and reading of Wagner and Griswold pieces supports ashtrays, not spoon rests. Depending on what other piece you have, I would say those with two pour spouts shaped suitably for holding cigarettes are ashtrays; those with a matchbook holder certainly are. I would think something with a groove along the top of the handle and regular or no pour spouts would more likely be a spoon rest. I suppose both designs could be used interchangeably for either purpose, though.

I support ashtray and I doubt that any were produced as spoon holders which would get food on them then need to be cleaned in water which might then start rust. With a rounded groove along the top of the handle that, too, I would say is to hold a cigarette. A tiny skillet with regular lips and no groove on top of the handle would likely be a toy skillet. Any can be used as a spoon rest but the top of the stove makes more sense as it's really easy to wipe off.

Back