silver and copper stains/spots

LisaDean

Hi, all, I'm a newbie here so I greatly appreciate your feedback. I'm working on my first cast iron skillet, it came to me badly rusted. I took the old seasoning off (someone had seasoned it over the rust and it was a dull red all over, inside and out) in an oven cleaner cycle. Since then, I've been working on it every few days with table salt as an abrasive, scrubbing with the cut half of a potato, as recommended on so many less expert sites. I don't have even the modest funds right now, for an electrolysis type setup.

When I'm done scrubbing I'll rinse the salt off and set it in a lightly warm oven to dry faster. It's losing all the rust and developing the light gray color I would expect of unseasoned cast iron. However, it also develops several bright silver spots each time I scrub it. They are pretty small, maybe 1/4 inch or so, and inside each spot is a tiny ring of what looks to be a bright copper metal adhesion. The spots don't come off with future cleaning, so I've stopped cleaning it further until I can figure out the spots. They don't appear until after the pan is completed and fully dry.

I'm sure you folks will be able to tell me everything I'm doing wrong. Would vinegar help, do you think? Thanks!

I think we're going to need a photo to be able to try to tell what's going on here.

This is the best I can do. Is it helpful?

Attachments

• iron pan 1.jpg
    iron pan 1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 24
  • iron pan 2.jpg
    iron pan 2.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 25
If the color rendition of the reddish patches in the photo is correct, it would appear the pan has been previously burned in a fire to clean it, resulting in damage. If the fire is too hot, the metal is actually molecularly altered. The spots are probably another side effect.

Back