Rendered Lard today

GCrawford

Got a little over a qt. Couldn't find and Back or Leaf Fat so had to settle for scraps from Ingles. Heck, They're free! Just don't know what part of the hog they came from.

fbAsNsK.jpg

The white jar is of course already cooled.

xqb4WHv.jpg

Cracklin' Cornbread, anyone?

zPY5wmF.jpg

Highest grade of lard. Leaf lard specifically comes from the visceral, or soft, fat from around the kidneys and loin of the pig.

Lard is not lard. Leaf fat is golden. Leaf fat is the best for biscuits. At least in in humble opinion.

So how can you tell which fat is which when you're at the grocery store? Is it labeled leaf fat, back fat, etc.?

(I'll bet those cooked pieces taste yummy in cornbread!)

So how can you tell which fat is which when you're at the grocery store? Is it labeled leaf fat, back fat, etc.?

(I'll bet those cooked pieces taste yummy in cornbread!)

In Georgia we call it Cracklin' Cornbread. Yeah, it's good!

Our local Ingles market actually throws the pork fat in the trash. If you want it you havae to call and ask them to save it. It is just "generic" pork fat but it makes some "rough" lard. Our IGA market can get leaf fat but has to order an 85 lb box (so I was told). We have a local "niche" market that sells local pasture raised meats and the owner is checking on getting me some leaf and back fat (or otherwise called fatback). Fatback will be in strips or chunks. Leaf fat is a folded irregular shape. Maybe somewhat Lacy like.

I'm no expert on this so maybe and expert can chime in. (expert = has been drip:roll:)

So I went back to the German Deli that sold me the REAL bacon (no water, no sugar) and I was looking for some pork fat. They didn't have any for sale but they didn't have pre-rendered lard that I bought. I about 4 bucks worth and it's a little bigger than your standard container of hummus. I look forward to using it soon.

In the mean time (while at work) i'll be calling a few other local deli's to see if they can sell me raw pork fat that I can render at home....shouldn't be that hard right?

GCrawford, I see in one of your pictures that you use The OveGloves for handling your hot skillets. Just wanted to comment that they are my heat protection of choice. Last year I picked up a pair of welding gloves, and they don't do nearly as well as the OveGloves. Mine have become saturated with Crisco from seasoning so much cast iron. I try to be careful but after so many, they have still become saturated. I've soaked them in degreaser, then run them through the wash and it helps, but they end up a little stiff and not completely Crisco free. Sorry to get off topic.

Might be easier (and cheaper) to get pork fat from a local butcher or grocery store rather than a deli. You can, of course, still buy lard in the grocery store. Well, around here (SC) you can.

So I went back to the German Deli that sold me the REAL bacon (no water, no sugar) and I was looking for some pork fat. They didn't have any for sale but they didn't have pre-rendered lard that I bought. I about 4 bucks worth and it's a little bigger than your standard container of hummus. I look forward to using it soon.

In the mean time (while at work) i'll be calling a few other local deli's to see if they can sell me raw pork fat that I can render at home....shouldn't be that hard right?

There's plenty of instruction on Google. Just throw it in after your pot is hot and cook it on low heat. Pour off the lard after about 30 min or so to keep from burning. After about 45 min. pour again and you're about through. Then you've got cracklings (Chicharones)
I use a strainer lined with cheese cloth and pour into a tall stainless steel bowl. Guess you could use a hot CI DO, wipe it down good and season it if it needs it.

Go to your local grocery chain and ask them to save their pork fat. Most just throw it in the trash. I get mine for free from Ingles. Definitely not the best but it makes Lard. I think I had about 4 lbs and it made just over a quart of Lard.

Yesterday I finally found some good Leaf Fat and rendered some good lard. I really wasn't satisfied with the lard I rendered from the scraps from the meat market. OK I suppose but not "leaf lard." Got about 2 qts. of lard from about 5 lb of fat. Got another 5 lbs to render today. Should end up with about a gallon of lard.

So, Made me some good oldfashion Lard biscuits this morning.

lEWQiV7.jpg

Jeep is not the only one for whom "Life is GOOD!"

ps. Don't ask about the castiron pan. I'd be banned from the forum if ya'll knew the truth!!!!

Do you have to keep your lard refrigerated so it doesn't go rancid?

Although I don't think it necessary, I will keep it frozen or refrigerated.

Our ancestors had no way of keeping it other than in a spring house or root cellar. It would last from hog killin' to hog killin' every year.

Of course, if you check google you'll find "expert" opinion of varying lengths and means of storage.

Here's just one "expert" opinion. Take if for what it's worth. Althought I do not think it necessary, I do like his/her advice about pressure canning the lard . . . just another safety measure.

http://www.preparednesspro.com/rendering-and-preserving-lard

Another goody!!!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...n-pensioner-eats-64-year-old-tub-of-lard.html

This is not advice. Use your own judgment about rendering, usage and storage of your "home made lard."

---------- Post added at 07:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 AM ----------

GCrawford, I see in one of your pictures that you use The OveGloves for handling your hot skillets. Just wanted to comment that they are my heat protection of choice. Last year I picked up a pair of welding gloves, and they don't do nearly as well as the OveGloves. Mine have become saturated with Crisco from seasoning so much cast iron. I try to be careful but after so many, they have still become saturated. I've soaked them in degreaser, then run them through the wash and it helps, but they end up a little stiff and not completely Crisco free. Sorry to get off topic.

Yes! Given to me as a gift and get used often. Only down side is I have quite large hands (XL gloves) and these are a bit difficult to get on. I use them more folded over as pot holders.

Donna, I buy pork lard at the grocery store. On the jar, it says to refrigerate after opening. I don't. The only thing I use it for is seasoning skillets. I keep mine in the cabinet under the sink, along with the jar of bacon drippings.

Both of my grandmothers, and my mom, kept their bacon drippings in a coffee tin. I think keeping the drippings in a dark place is more important than refrigeration. But that is just my uneducated opinion. Of course, it is an Olin formed from a childhood of eating food cooked in bacon drippings from a coffee can. ;)

When I was young there was a small scale slaughter house meat market combo near my home town. This was before mandatory USDA inspectors being on site. They would render large amounts of lard. They would put it in 5 gallon metal tin cans and it was called a stand of lard. My Dad was a hunter and bred and raised dogs all his life. For a while he would purchase for a cheap price cracklings in those same lard tins. He would take them home and dump them out in a spare bedroom in our old colonial house on a sheet of plastic to cool off. He would then mix some of them in with his dog food. Those beagles and hounds loved them. I would also eat them until I almost got sick myself when we first got home and they were still warm. If you asked my Dad what his favorite color dog or horse was he would say "fat".

Back