Recent finds and a couple of questions

Today I finally met up with a picker that lives about 45 minutes from me that comes up with cast iron from time to time. We'll meet up about every 6 weeks for me to take what he's found. Where the skillets are concerned, there's nothing special but at $5 each, it's hard to complain: Lodge 10SK, #8 1960s BSR Century Series, #8 unmarked Wagner deep skillet with a hinge (I'll keep and use that one, just need a lid), (2) #6 unmarked 1960s Wagner as well as an unmarked #6 probably 1960s, Wagner grill skillet.

I also got (2) other pieces from him that I'm hoping to get a little more information about.

On closer inspection I think the big ladle is steel, not cast iron, and it appears to be painted. It weighs over 8-1/2 pounds. Maybe it's a reproduction or modern piece. Not sure. Then there is the tea kettle. It has a #8 in the center of a star on the lid. No other markings. No gate mark. I'm assuming this is later, like 1980s since the country of origin could have been a sticker but am completely unsure. Has anyone seen something like it? Any idea of value once cleaned up?

http://stormforge.net/gallery/index.php/Ladle-and-8-star-tea-kettle

In the past week, I've also picked up an quite a few other pieces inexpensively including several nice Griswolds although all are fairly common. One is a BSR Century Series corn skillet that although the paper label is gone, is unused, unseasoned as shipped.

Regarding the corn skillet. It is new and unused and has the slightest wobble. I read on a forum post about someone with an new as shipped #12 Griswold regular skillet I think with labels still attached that also has a very slight wobble.

So I have a question regarding that. Was that slight wobble acceptable to QA at the foundry? It seems likely now at least at some foundries and that pans with the slightest wobble probably came that way. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I think the tea kettle is quite a bit older than that. It's flat bottomed, rather than pit bottomed, which indicates it was made to sit on a stove top as opposed to in a stove eye, so no bottom gate for that reason. But that handle isn't anything I would expect to see on a mid-20th century or later kettle.

As to pan wobble, the molders likely weren't putting pieces on a known flat surface to test them. I have a #4 LBL smooth bottom Griswold skillet that shows little evidence of use and none of abuse. It has a slight bump in the bottom I can't believe was caused by improper heating.

Thanks, Doug. That's good to hear about the kettle. Any idea of value cleaned up?

Good to know about that skillet and that your experience fits with what I'm seeing.

As always, I appreciate your sharing your knowledge.

Back