Really Heavy Gate Marked Skillet--Identify???

I went to the swap meet again last Saturday, and there was a huge amount of CI there, all or mostly collectible. One of the things I bought is this gate marked skillet. It's the heaviest I have ever seen for its size. The bathroom scale says it's between 6 and 7 lbs.

Any thoughts as to age and possibly manufacturer? I know get marked is hard to ID but it's worth asking. :)

Thank you.

thumbnail.jpegthumbnail-1.jpegthumbnail-2.jpeg

I washed it and oiled it, then used it to make dinner last night and an omelet this morning. Nice and smooth. This is a good pan--but heavy!

I have never seen a skillet like this one. Being heavy and all just makes it that much more worth the cost to me. Enjoy your pan!

It IS a beast. If this is their size 4, what would an 8 or 10 look like? I don't remember ever seeing a cast iron skillet with a lip around it like that. I've heard that good cast iron is lightweight, but this one is so heavy that I have trouble lifting it with my left hand to pour from it and have to use my right. There's no spinning it with that gate mark.

I have some other gate marked CI, but the handles are thinner and more ornate. I was curious if anyone had ever seen another skillet similar to this one.

It works great, though. Once it's hot, it stays hot for a while.

Back