REAL bacon and it feels so good

NLevine

Recently I was reading a thread where Hilditch said "There's real bacon out there and cast iron loves it." That sentence pinged around in my head for a few days and today I went to the traditional German deli located a few miles from my office in search of "real bacon". I called ahead to make sure their bacon didn't have any water or sugar and they assured me in a very thick German accent that there wasn't, it was only salted and smoked.

I bought a pound for 9 bucks and headed home.

Once home I pulled out my freshly seasoned Wagner #7 Arc Logo skillet, wiped some oil in it and turned the heat up to medium. After a minute I placed the bacon in the pan and began to watch something truly spectacular. No sticking, no sticking AT ALL!! The most pure animal fat i've ever seen slowed dripped off the bacon and onto the cooking surface as the bacon slide around the pan effortlessly.

Once the bacon was done and the flawless pork fat was still in the pan and I decided to crack 2 eggs onto the greasy cooking surface. What to do you know....NO STICKING! After a minute I picked up the pan, titling it back and forth and watched the eggs slide around with ease. I've finally passed the egg test!

Needless to say I WILL NEVER BUY BACON AT THE GROCERY STORE EVER AGAIN. I'm small butcher shops only from now one.

Hilditch, I can thank you enough for showing me the light!! I AM CONVERTED!!

Happy to hear you found some real bacon, it's a chore to find decent meat in general that's not shot up full of water. It seems like nowadays when you brown hamburger it doesn't fry. It simmer steams/poaches in all the liquid that comes out.

You are welcome N. Glad it worked for you. Great description. Meats cost a bit more when you aren’t buying water and they can be hard to find these days. For ground meat I buy roasts that have not been shot up and buy the fat that was trimmed off the roasts and grind it myself. The Kroger company seems to be the worst in this area for shooting up all the meat they can including pork, beef and seafood along with the poultry of course.

Hilditch

Kroger doesn't have a slaughter house/ meat packing company. They buy it from someone else.

That's correct. In 2013, Smithfield was purchased by a Chinese company. Prior to that, Smithfield had purchased Gwaltney, Farmland, John Morrell, Nathan's, Armour, Eckrich Farms and some others. It may be all in my head, but it seems Smithfield bacon has more water recently than they did before the Chinese bought them.

Congrats on the bacon, NLevine. Another item you may want to try is popcorn. It's my go-to for breaking in dutch ovens.

Back