Raised mark

It's a molder's mark, and is raised because it was applied at the time the mold was created by the foundryman casting the piece. It's upside down because he was paid by the piece and did not waste time making sure it was straight and upright.

OK, thanks. I need to think about the process more, then maybe I could have figured that out. First, there's a pattern made, which is a model of the future pan. Then a mold is made around the pattern. Pattern is removed from mold, leaving a void in the mold where the molten iron is cast, which, when cooled, becomes the actual pan. Is that about right, in very simple terms? Much easier to scratch a mark into the mold (which would leave a raised mark) than add to it. Would it follow, then, that incised marks on my pans were cut into the pattern?

All correct. Incised marks in a pan are raised areas inside the mold. Raised marks are from depressions in the mold.

I think many or most incised marks were incised into the pattern. It would be hard to stamp a mark in a mold and have it come out incised. Those Lodges with the small randomly placed small letter or mark are the good "old" ones.

Back