Question about cleaning two old kettles

John Boger

I'm new to this Forum but not as new to cast iron. However, other than cleaning a frying pan after frying an egg, I have never really cleaned old cast iron. I visited those pages on this Forum that provide some help--all good--but getting advice first-hand from an experienced person--well, there's no substitute. I've also look at before-and-after photos. Quite impressive. I would like some advice on the two kettles I have (see pictures). I don't want to harm them in any way. The small one seems generic, and the big one--three gallons--was made in Baltimore. They don't seem to have crud on them that can be removed with lye, and the rust seems to be more than just surface rust. Can the letters in Baltimore be spruced up, that is, made sharper? Or are they just too rusted to make much better? If it's best to leave them alone, I will do so. But if any one has advice how to proceed, that would be greatly appreciated.

John

Attachments

• IMG_3845.jpg
    IMG_3845.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3846.jpg
    IMG_3846.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3843.jpg
    IMG_3843.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3844.jpg
    IMG_3844.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3847.jpg
    IMG_3847.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 16
Looks like they spent some time as planters, perhaps. If that's not some kind of build-up in the lettering, there's not really anything to be done to revive it. A "reverse" electrolysis set up should handle the interior rust.

Thanks for the response. The small one definitely spent time outdoors but not by me. The big one, I don't know. I'll leave them alone for the time being.

John

Back