Permanent Marker on Wagner Skillet

MarilynM

Recently I picked up a #6 Wagner Sidney-O skillet at a yard sale. The pan was in good shape other than needing to be cleaned and seasoned. It has been in the lye tank for a couple of weeks and had multiple scrubbings. After removing the build up of seasoning, I noticed where someone has written, I think with permanent black marker or other marker, some numbers. So far the lye tank has not removed these numbers. The pan is clean on the bottom except for these markings. Can someone tell me how to safely remove this without damaging my skillet?
Thank you

Try rubbing alcohol, or I've read where writing over it with a dry erase marker will make it wipe off. YMMV.

I agree with isopropyl alcohol. Try to get some with a high percentage of alcohol. I saw a bottle at Walmart labeled 91%.

Finger nail polish remover has acetone in it and may work in this case. Some auction people are good at things like that, putting the winning bidders # on the item with markers.

You may also try Aqua Net hair spray. It removes many inks, but I don't know if it will remove permanent marker. spray it close, so that it leaves liquid on the ink spot, give it a few seconds, then wipe or wash off.

You could use a Brillo or SOS pad, but it will need seasoned if it works....Im just guessing. I have used them for a number of things.

Yes, it did come off the pan eventually. I used the 91% Isopropyl alcohol method. I applied the alcohol to the permanent markings, rubbed it with cloth, and then put the skillet back in the lye solution. I did this procedure two times and the markings are gone now. Thanks to everyone for helping me resolve this issue!

Recently I picked up a #6 Wagner Sidney-O skillet at a yard sale. The pan was in good shape other than needing to be cleaned and seasoned. It has been in the lye tank for a couple of weeks and had multiple scrubbings. After removing the build up of seasoning, I noticed where someone has written, I think with permanent black marker or other marker, some numbers. So far the lye tank has not removed these numbers. The pan is clean on the bottom except for these markings. Can someone tell me how to safely remove this without damaging my skillet?
Thank you
This is an old thread, but I thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth--hair spray used to be used sometimes to remove marker from a hard, smooth surface. I've used it on white boards.

Back