Peach pie just out of oven

Steven C

I just pulled this out 10 minutes ago and is cooling now. I'm still getting the feel to baking in CI and practice helps the next one to be better. This is my first with fresh peaches, kept it basic. peach, white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.

This one I baked in a #7 with 5 peaches and had plenty of juice and filling, and I thickened it with a little corn starch. Later after dinner I'll have to see how it tastes :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 23
Pie report,
To start with the peaches could of been a bit more ripe. But tasted ok, I'll be tweaking the next one more. The filling was more runnier than I wanted and I can see why some recipes call for tapioca or a good amount of starch to thicken it.
My apple pie turned much better a few weeks back, I'll have to work on this one some.
Hope you all had a good weekend.

You are on the right track. Pies are supposed to be made in a thin steel pie pan. Getting the bottom cooked correctly in a glass pie pan is more difficult. A CI skillet is worse ‘cause you can’t see the bottom. I suspect a pumpkin pie would be over two hours to bake out all the moisture and get the bottom crust cooked in a skillet. At that point the top crust may be the same color as the skillet, foil or not.

If I was trying a fruit pie in a skillet, which I am not going to do, I would put ripe or canned peaches or other fruit in after draining them real well and having a thick sugared sauce, and cook on low a few minutes on the stove top before putting in the oven to get the skillet up to temperature and the evaporation process begun. A trial & experience process for sure and different for every fruit. For what?

I’m about to make some meat and cherry pasties (separately) and fry them in my #7 until golden. That is as close as I want to get to a pie in a skillet.

The honest feedback was a treat!

Hilditch

Last edited:
I'm glad you mentioned heating up the sugary sauce on the stove top. While reading some of the recipes and then reading a lot of the comments one of the ladies mentioned that as well, I'll give that a try on the next one.

I can see how some of the different fruits can perform differently when baked and can require some trial and error. I'm thinking fresh blueberry could be a challenge.

If you have issues with the crust not cooking completely, try partially blind baking the crust. This ensures that the bottom crust is completely cooked when your pie is done.

And I meant putting the whole filled pie in the skillet on the stovetop to get it started, not just the sauce. If the sauce was too thin then the sauce could be put on to boil down and thicken before adding to the fruit.

All you need to do is find that balance point between moisture and texture before and after baking.

Hilditch

Back