Pattern identifier?

CraigA.

Cleaning this pan up for my son in law.

After less than 24 hours in the lye bath.

My attention was drawn to the c/n and was expecting a letter or number to designate the pattern.

All I found was the inscribed dash and dot and another dot on the handle. Are these referring to the pattern used?

#8 is probably the most popular size skillet, and a high volume piece for the foundry. The dot on the handle is not unusual; the dash or underline is infrequently seen. The dot next to the dash could just be a casting anomaly. All could be part of the effort to identify unique working patterns when more were needed than A-Z could cover. BSR and Griswold sometimes used double letters, but I don't recall Wagner doing so.

Inside is looking better too. there was still some crud left so I dunked it in the lye again. Tomorrow will probably bring a brief swim in the E-tank for some surface rust. Then by Friday I should be able to begin seasoning.

However, removing all the crud revealed a slight wobble. As I expected. No matter. SIL is thrilled. Especially when I told him that the marking was unusual.

I have a 1058 I inherited from my parents. It's a great skillet. I used it last night for roux and veggies for gumbo.

A slight wobble is still OK for a gas stove.

A helper handle would have been nice for pouring the roux to another container to avoid burning the roux. Fortunately, my wrists ( and pot holders) are still good enough to do the job.

Yeah, cast iron is kinda heavy, lol.....i agree that skillets from 10 and up should have a lift assist..

Back