Pan-fried Potatoes

I had 4 white skinned potatoes, forgot the name but they're small, about 1.5" diameter. Partially peeled (I like peelings) and sliced 1/4" thin, not chopped, in they went to my little Griswold #5 with some red -- because I didn't have yellow -- onion. Teaspoon of olive oil and a very thin pat of unsalted butter. Cajun salt.

I've made this a hundred times in my old calphalon pan, and they were always good, but not this good. They seem to brown more evenly in cast iron.

I'd have taken a photo and showed you how beautifully they browned, but I got carried away and hogged them down before I could get my camera out.

I think this little #5 is going to become my go-to pan, as it's just me and my wife now, and it cooks wonderfully.

Just one batch; they were small potatoes, and there was a little overlapping/layering. I just flipped them now and then.

I used to add a teaspoon of water after they were brown and cover to smother; now I just cover w/out water and let the liquid in the potatoes do the rest, and this only if the frying doesnt cook them ll the way through.

Thanks for commenting!

Rob I just did some same way last night but not to the browning point. Just to soften. And then I the add to a casserole to bake 30 more minutes.

I most of the time do them like you and brown them and add some fresh garlic stirred in last 10 minutes or so. I usually cube them, and once in awhile have thrown in a bowl after done and mix a dollop of sour cream in.

Just to add: I talking about roasting in the oven that's was what my post was referring too. But have done them on stove top.

Last edited:
Hey Rob, That looks great. I'm trying your recipe, very soon. In the mean time, check this one out. It actually came from the Lodge website. I have done it a dozen or more times, and it is great every time.
http://www.lodgemfg.com/recipe/cast-iron-roasted-red-potatoes-with-rosemary-and-onion
Give it a try. Also, just to make it easier, throw everything into a zip lock bag, toss, then heat up the skillet, and throw everything in at once. Stir occasionally.

Enjoy ! :tasty:

Hey Rob. I always have pretty bad sticking when I do potatoes in CI. Did yours stick? If not what was the cooking heat and oil you used. I love potatoes so I want to perfect them. Thanks
kyle

Hey Rob. I always have pretty bad sticking when I do potatoes in CI. Did yours stick? If not what was the cooking heat and oil you used. I love potatoes so I want to perfect them. Thanks
kyle

I'm not Rob, but if it's ok with you I can share the two ways how I manage to fry potatoes in (cast) iron pans, with little to no sticking. My electric stove has 6 heat settings, btw.. :)

1) Fried potatoes from raw potatoes:
- Preheat your skillet first on low heat (1/6), then dial it up to medium high heat (4/6)
- Slice potatoes in half-inch-cubes, then wash and dry them to remove some of the starch
- Once your skillet is hot (water drops should dance but not evaporate), add a tablespoon of olive oil and a tablespoon of butter, and dial down the heat to medium low (3/6)
- Add a single layer of potatoes to your skillet and stir them around a bit until every cube is covered in fat and they all have contact to the cooking surface
- Let them sit on that heat for about 5 to 10 minutes and resist the urge to stir them, until you can see the crust forming up
- Once the time is up and the crust has formed, try shaking them loose. If they are ready, they'll release; otherwise give them more time
- Keep shaking/stirring them (with a little wait time after each stirr), until all cubes have a crust on every side
- Remove potatoes from skillet and salt/season to your liking, then reheat your skillet for the next batch

2) Fried potatoes from pre-boiled potatoes:
- Wash your potatoes and place them in a cold pot, then add enough cold water on top until your potatoes are almost covered; add a pinch of salt
- Place your pot on the stove and set it to full heat (6/6)
- Check your potatoes every few minutes with a knive until they are done; the knive should slide easily in and out of the potatoe
- Once done, remove potatoes from the pot and let them fully cool
- Peel the cold potatoes and slice them into quarters (you want pieces of about 2 inches)
- Preheat your skillet first on low heat (1/6), then dial it up to medium high heat (4/6)
- Once your skillet is hot (water drops should dance but not evaporate), add a tablespoon of olive oil and a tablespoon of butter, and dial down the heat to medium low (3/6)
- Add your potatoes and start shaking your skillet, until evey piece is covered in fat
- Let them sit a few minutes and shake/stirr them again
- Repeat until the crust is to your liking

In my personal experience, pre-boiled potatoes stick less when being fried, even in a newly seasoned (cast) iron pan. The secret to non-stickiness (as far as I can tell) however seems to be the hot skillet when you start frying, and that you use a minimum amount of fat (butter and olive oil work best for me) and coat your potatoe pieces evenly.

I hope this helps. :)

Pan fried potatoes, or home fries, always one of our family's campsite breakfast favorites.
I bake the potatoes the nite before in campfire, foil wrapped, then throw them into the ice chest before going to bed. I don't peel, just course chop, whatever fat you have brought to cooking temp before adding potato, season, onion, corn cut off the cob, peppers, almost anything left over from the previous day goes in, even meats. Big spoonful in a bowl and a couple of sunny side up eggs on top, bottle of your fav hot sauce and your day is off to a good start. I use my 12" spider CI because it has a lid to keep the dish warm on the table even if it's a cool morning.
As this thread shows, lots of good ways to cook potatoes in CI.

Niko--I have always had trouble with my potatoes sticking, no matter what the pan or what the heat. I have never heard of rinsing them to remove some of the starch, and I'm wondering if that could be the key. If it is, I will be so happy! I'm going to try it next time. Thanks for the idea! :biggrin:

I tried soaking my raw potato chunks in cold water and draining them before putting them in my hot skillet tonight and it made a huge difference in the sticking. I still had a little bit of sticking but not nearly as as much as usual. What a great trick--thanks! :bow:

I tried soaking my raw potato chunks in cold water and draining them before putting them in my hot skillet tonight and it made a huge difference in the sticking. I still had a little bit of sticking but not nearly as as much as usual. What a great trick--thanks! :bow:
You're most welcome. I'm very pleased to hear that it worked for you, too. :)

Back